A Selfless Request

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gmonady, Nov 19, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
  2. smokin valves

smokin valves Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2011
    Just voted, seems you are in the lead by quite a lot!

3. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    A vote from Holland, for my favourite Doc. Number 121, you're way up the lead. I don't know any of the bands, but I'm confident you will sound the best. I'ld love to hear some.

4. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    NUMBER 123!! Did it at work, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    That's something. Easy to remember.

5. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    I don't know if I can handle that loose slotting of the Comittee...It sounds defective. You should swap in a bach bell :)

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thanks smokin for your support. It will not go unrecognized.... Truly!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Your vote was well selected. And to serve you on your request of you liking to hear some... Here is a link to the current second place band... do be carefull, some of the language is of an adult varity.

WELCOME TO THE HOME OF THE NIGHTBEAST

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I won't say anyting if you don't say anything. Wow, risking your job for the EBQ. You are devoted.. and re-voted.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It is loose slotting, but if you can tame it, it is that loose slotting that gives it the versitility to add depth and dimension to the sound. When I get our recent CD from the recording session last week, I will post for you one of our originals Alyiah. I play this on the Committee, bend many notes, and try to channel Lee Morgan in some of my lines.

It is interesting that you do note this characteristic. On another post requesting recommedation for Jazz Method books, I mentioned "The art of Jazz Trumpet" by John McNeil, were he has a section on the Martin Committee in his methods book that addresses your perspective: "The downside of the Martin Committee is that one pays for flexibiity of tone and execution with questionable intonation. Since notes on a vintage Committee are not slotted to the degre one finds on a Bach or Benge, the player has to compensate extensively in order to play the horn in tune. Because the sound of the Committee is fairly unique, it can be difficult to blend within a trumpet section. The trumpet section in one of Woody Herman's bands once solved this problem by having the entire section play Committees."

10. watchguy44

watchguy44 Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2010
    Illinois
    Done! :D.....you guys are running away with the voting!! Good luck