A serious trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by blu_knote, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Ted, listen to Rouwk and Dale Proctor. Play 'em all. Old and new. My everyday horn is a Sterling Bach 43 bell. I just bought a Conn Director student horn with a Coprion bell and it is wonderful. I love it. Will it overtake my Bach? Probably not. But, I know it will be useful for certain jobs.

2. *Red*Clarinet*Playa*

*Red*Clarinet*Playa* New Friend

Apr 1, 2008
    Whoville
    "I think it would be easier to recommend a wife than a trumpet.................."

Good one, rowuk. haha really good.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ahh, the final voice of reason. I've shown this to my wife and now that the blood has stopped flowing, she has agreed that this is a good argument. But that's it. She reckons 4 trumpets is enough although she has agreed to a policy of one new instrument will mean the sale (I have been known to "hide" trumpets in old empty cases) of an old friend. Your bottom line is a good one - play before you pay - but I always think that he who dies with the most trumpets - wins.

4. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    Absolutely !!!!! Buying a horn IS a serious decision, and it can also be a very enjoyable experience. Keep an open mind along the way, and have as much fun as possible.

5. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
  6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    While you're at it, you might as well play a few cornets too. They have their own advocates and can be used pretty much anywhere (exc. orchestras) you might play a trumpet. Get a mouthpiece as similar to your trumpet mpc as you can, rimwise, with a deeper cup.

7. holyjunk

holyjunk New Friend

Aug 30, 2007
    Also, I know a good proffesional horn around this price range is the Conn Vintage one. I know people like the horn that have it, and it so happens I have it too. :) haha It is a great horn. Throwing another out there for considertion.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is not he who dies with the most, it is he that got to play them most before he dies that has truly won.

If you are getting reasonable mileage on all 4, justifying the 5th should not be the problem. If you play two/collect two, it is tougher to convince the better half!

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I've been there, done that. A trumpet is MUCH more stubborn than any partner could ever be!

Once you do get used to a trumpet though, you tend to ignore its faults. Look at all those old pros playing out of tune Bach C trumpets. They have even developed alternate fingerings to compensate - even although that makes the sound uneven!

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Yes, good point. I justify one instrument as being the one my father gave me as a boy - so it's not really mine, but I use it for marching performances due to the danger of damage. Another, my Getzen 700SP is lodged with my niece who is developing her skills with an instrument that, in Aussie parlance, is a boomerang. This means that I get it back when she "eventually" makes her own choice. The pocket trumpet is my little travel mate (and lives in a suitcase), and the Getzen 900 Eterna is the workhorse - not nearly enough trumpets really. I live in hope of playing and purchasing a couple more - but most certainly, as I tour the world, so I will "squeeze a few toons" from some wonderful pieces of the trumpet makers art.