A severe downsizing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by VetPsychWars, Sep 11, 2012.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I had 5 days off the horn over the previous holiday weekend so I thought I would try an experiment to see what happened. Instead of my Curry 3 pieces, I slotted in a Buescher 88-E, which is 0.630" diameter, with a fairly sharp rim.

Holy F#, Batman!

So far, everything is more better... flexibility, range, sound... I had to seriously back off because I was playing too loud and overshooting notes too high.

I'm optimistic that this change will be a permanent one. Sunday is the first rehearsal of the community band this season, so we'll see how the endurance goes.

It's an additional bonus of being a Buescher Duo-Cup mouthpiece in a Buescher horn, too. :-)

For those who don't know what this Duo-Cup thing is... back in the mid-30s when these pieces were introduced, the entrance to the throat in many pieces was pretty tight, with a sharp transition from the cup to the throat. These pieces have a wide throat entrance, which is actually quite common today. They called it a "second cup" (hence the name) but it was just what we call a wide throat entrance.

Tom

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    It probably won't be...as you become acclimated to the mouthpiece, the same issues that caused you to switch from it will probably resurface...but I hope it works for you.

3. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    It could make a permanent improvement. And at least concerning your current state this mouthpiece appears to fit your abilities better than the last one.

However your "current state" is always fluctuating due to playing demands and over training. If you don't think you over train? Well guess again. Any time you feel reduced endurance or register capabilities? You're probably at or near a state of "over training".

Mouthpiece changes kind of remind me of the problem marriage. The couple feels that their life would be better off if they moved to Florida. And so they do and for a few weeks everyone is happy. But after a month or so the wife starts thinking they were better off back in Cincinnati. So the move back and so on and so forth.

The problem is we take our problems with us where ever we go. If I over train in Cincinnati? I'm probably gonna over train in Duluth and Tacoma. Or where ever I go and no matter what mouthpiece I use.

DaTrump likes this.
  4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    True wisdom...

5. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    I agree, wait until after the honeymoon.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    A few other mfrs attempted to get on the Merry-Go-Round of the Parduba double cup mpcs, but I don't they they succeeded as well without the the equal endorsement of someone like Harry James. Some like them, and others deep six them among all the other mpcs they've tried and not liked.

7. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010

I run a wide throat Denis Wick on my cornet. If I try to practise on it every day its a pain(just like every other mouthpiece), but if I pick it up every once and a while it really seems to sing with a wonderfully fresh sound.

8. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    So far so good. Mostly lasted through the 2-hour community band rehearsal, which is the acid test for the amount I play. I'm getting a lot more accurate on it and the range going down equals the range going up with a decent sound. I'm liking it so much I'm getting one of my 88-E's buffed and gold plated.

This is looking like a permanent change for the good as I've been playing many things better than I have ever played them before with a lot less effort. The rim is flattish with a sharpish bite and the cup has a pretty good volume even though it's the smallest and shallowest that Buescher offered. Charlie Melk, yesterday, while I was asking him about mouthpiece sizing in general, said it wasn't all that shallow and not freakishly small, but to consider it to be like a 7C or 10-1/2C in sizing. Diameter is 0.630.

So, all you naysayers: :-P

Tom

9. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Nearly a month later, and all is still sunshine and kittens. I definitely need more practice in the upper register... for giggles I went for a high C at the end of a piece, noticed it didn't fit the chord and cracked off the E above it. Much fun.

Endurance is also greatly improved. If you saw the rim on this piece, you'd be scratching your head because it is quite sharp, but what can I say? It just seems to match my face.

I'm a happy guy. Can't wait to get the primary piece back from gold plating, and I actually have a backup, which is cool, considering how rare these things are.

Tom

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    glad it has all worked out so well!!! have a great day, play and be happy!!!