A Small-Bore Bach

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Dec 23, 2011.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I just got a small-bore 0.447" Bach Strad in my shop. The owner brought it in because it had sticking slides.

Let the Red Rot begin:evil:
    [​IMG]

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    EWWWWW!

Now I feel better about what my 2335 use to look like, nothing close to that. How hard would that be for you to get clean?

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    If you are going to give it a complete cleaning, I would like to see pics after you're finished. A good before and after. The owner nedds some serious trumpet maintenance lessons.

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    looks like "Green Rot" to me!

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    That has to take a couple years to get that bad, not that hard to clean it yourself or pay someone to do it every 8 - 12 months.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I would probably expect that ammonia cleaner has been used at some stage to wash the interior of the horn.

Ammonia based cleaners will attack the brass and leave that green/blue colour. That product if allowed to build up can become a potential impact explosive mix. Hit it with a hammer, or impact it, and you can get a bang....

Now to Myth-busters. ;-)

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  7. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I bet once it's clean it'll be an ML bore! YUCK!!! :p

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Ivan,

How would you suggest someone handle such at home?

Bet it would be fun to play. Best I understand, early trumpets were pretty much all small bore. Then ML. And today there seems to be many more moving to L and extra L bores.

9. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Very simple answer: Preventative maintenance. Clean your horn frequently. I really like the HW Brass Saver brushes, but any of the readily available snakes and brushes are fine. Unfortunately, the stage that this one is, you really need all the clever stuff like citric acid and maybe ultrasonics (which I have but only use when absolutely necessary), and up to date tetanus shots!

There are before and after shots of a Bach in a similar state on my website.

10. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    just think, those are just the removable parts - think about the leader pipe and the rest of the horn.