A Small-Bore Bach

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Dec 23, 2011.

1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Well arnt you cool! ROFL
    Where do you find these things?

2. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    What did the Bach owner's teeth look like ?

3. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I have never seen a horn look that bad inside. What a waste.

4. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Maybe I should go into the horn cleaning buisness. That horn does not look too bad. It was used and sligtly abused but I'm sure it will play good again. A little elbow grease and it will be fine. Perhaps new springs and felts.

5. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Wow,that will need some serious cleaning.

Mr. Ivan Hunter, I have a stuck second valve stem on my 1970 1055T King Silver Flair. Was like that after I bought it. Did not notice till time to clean about a month later. Do not think it is cross threaded.

These valve stems are made of Aluminum. Was wondering what I could spray into the bottom hole of valve hole? Let sit over night upside down,till solvent hopefully worked into threads and loosen it with mild twisting. Aluminuim is a soft metal and afraid to put to much pressure on it. Some solvents may also not work on aluminuim.

Was waiting till first of next year and take Horn to my Music Tech. if this is a hard fix. Would be hard to find those type replacement valve stems. Any suggestions? Thanks for any replys

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I agree. Actually, I think the flash makes it look a little worse than it is. Yes, needs a cleaning.

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    If the stem is that stuck, take it to your local tech. There are various methods to free it (ranging from a hammer to a gas torch) which could be very destructive if carried out by a novice. Conn-Selmer list the part as SP0402302, and say that same part is used in virtually all the King and Conn trumpet, flugelhorn and cornet range.

Unfortunately the use (by virtually all manufacturers) of Aluminum for a piston stem is a pretty stupid design! The Aluminum screws into Brass. As anyone with an outboard motor knows, these two metals are fantastic for Galvanic action. In the presence of an electrolyte (perspiration/acid breath) the Aluminum is eaten away rather quickly (white corrosion).

8. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Ditto Mr. Hunter,thank You. Will take to my Music Tech to fix. Will write that part # down for a replacement stem if needed.