A Story to encourage FINAL UPDATE!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Solar Bell, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Ed wrote:
    Well...I didn't have any insurance for this. The insurance company's all consider this "Cosmetic" surgery, even though this is important to my vocation.
    There is a way to deduct this expense on my taxes, so I will get a break there.

Important!

When it comes to dental, or any other medical procedure, MAKE SURE you diligently search for and find a person who will work with YOU and do what YOU need done.

There were many doctors I spoke with that wanted to do the procedures THEIR way. I had to find a person that would help me and do it the best way possible for my needs.

It was an expensive ordeal, (especially out of MY pocket) but the other alternatives were not the best way to do this.

-cw-

2. ebtromba

ebtromba Pianissimo User

amazing story. thank you and good luck.

3. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    Yeah...no kidding.

Kinda related..
    My family dentist just upgraded to a bigger staff and a new building with more chairs and equipment...it's nice. The only thing is though, everytime I go in there now to get my teeth cleaned and everything, he sees that I still have my wisdom teeth (which may actually never come in...) and keeps telling me I should get them out because they might cause problems in the future.

He's been saying the same thing to my parents...the only thing is, when he had a smaller staff and a smaller office, he told them that their wisdom teeth were fine and that they shouldn't listen to people that tell them that they should come out.

I just politely say, "If they ever become a problem, I'll deal with them then. Right now they're completely harmless and I'd like to leave them alone."

Lara

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    You did us a service by posting this, Carlito. It's all about keeping your head and things in perspective.

ML

5. loudog

loudog Piano User

Jan 4, 2004
    Grand Island, NE
    Chuck,

Thanks so much for writing this.

I had an issue two years ago, but it was a completely different situation...Bells Palsy.

These kinds of things that get in the way of playing are such a downer to us trumpet players. It's hard to see your dreams slip away. Fortunately, if you stick with it, things tend to work themselves out for the better.

Thanks again for writing this Chuck...as I feel bad for you, I'm also very happy for you, as this will all make you a better player, better musician, and better human being.

Louie

6. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    As a follow up to this very scary but inspiring story, I will post the advice of Dr. Peter Silver, trumpet playing dentist here in NYC:
    Have your dentist take a mold of your teeth!

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey Tromj, I have been meaning to bring that up and start a thread on it. I know several players who have had a mold/cast done and I have been contemplating it myself lately. Thanks for reminding me!

AY

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    The March UPDATE

I went to the oral surgeon this morning. It has been approximately 7 weeks since the last procedure. At the last procedure they installed the metal "bed" in which the post that holds the implant will rest.

Today they took another panoramic x-ray to look at how the new bone graft has healed and attatched itself to the bed.
    All looked good there so they gave me 4 shots of local anesthetic to numb the upper jaw and lips.

Next he cut open the skin which was grafted over the open wound over the place where the implant will go.
    The next thing to do was to test the "bed".
    The surgeon screwed a device into it and used a pre-determined amount of sideways torque to see if the bed would move. If it moved even slightly, it would need to be removed and a new one installed and allowed to heal.

Little "clicking sounds" as the torque wrench applied the right amount of pressure.
    Good news!, it didn't move.

At this point the doctor installed what is called a "Healing Abutment".
    This will aid in the healing while the skin around it heals and conforms to where it should be.

About 4 stitches in my gums to position the gums to where they should heal and we're all set for today.

This will heal for 2 weeks.
    I will go back on April 10 to have it checked and make sure the gums have healed and that any open spaces have filled in.

After that time I will have the permanent implant installed.

Todays procedure went very well. No pain but for the sting of the shot of numbing agent.

I have been given an antibiotic and some pain pills which I most likely wil not need.

The doctor adjusted my appliance that I wear while playing the trumpet to allow for the healing abutment. It feels exactly the same, so I do not anticipate ant problems playing.

I'll keep you all informed when the new tooth implant is installed.

-cw-

9. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Chuck,

That’s great news! Scary stuff you’re going through right now. I’ll certainly keep you in my prayers. Let’s hope that 2007 will be a dentist free year for you!

Take care,

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Thank God, Chuck. It sounds like a pretty trying situation for you.

Yes, lets hope you can be dentist free, soon!