A Story to encourage FINAL UPDATE!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Solar Bell, Jan 31, 2006.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Chuck- I'm glad everything's going well for you. Your story is very inspirational, and (provided that third grey hair on the right doesn't interfere anymore...lol) I would like to share it with students and parents who have concerns about dental appliances. Thanks so much for sharing.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    THE LAST CHAPTER....I hope!

Finally, this past Monday I went for the fitting of the permanent implant.

Front tooth, right side, number 8.

I went with my trumpet in hand, (ok, it was in the case) it was a 7:30 PM appointment and I told him "We're not going home until I can play my horn."
    I brought pictures of my smile before the extraction and pictures of my smile with the appliance I have been using since the extraction.

He showed me the implant a set it in my jaw. We checked the location, and the color match with my existing teeth. All looked good.There is a slight gap between the front teeth that wasn't there before. It was very slight and did not bother me at all. It was probably from my teeth moving over the past year with nothing there. The implant was fitted over the post, checked and the cemented in place.
    It felt great!

With every other procedure, it took me a few days to be able to play well. Not this time. After a few minute wait I tried it out. My chops felt just like they did before this all happened, although a little different than the last few months. I went away felling pretty good. and almost $11,000 lighter in my bank account.

Playing at home Tuesday, Karen said I sounded fine. To me, there was a little difference in my tone which I was unhappy with. Played a couple of hours, was a little fatigued

Wednesday, rehearsal, it felt pretty good. A little fatigued, but not bad. Can I go four sets on Saturday?

Practiced thursady and Friday. Only problem is I have a hard time practicing lead charts at home with the same power, volume and intensity I will have to play on the gig.

Last night:
    Four hour swing dance.
    A litte tired in the first set, but playing louder and higher feels good.
    Somewhere during the second set, everything all of a sudden felt great. The first big hint came in the Bobby Darin chart "Artificial Flowers", the G came out strong and fat. The 2nd book player said I sounded great, and the G's came with no problem. The tone was where I wanted it and the fatigue just went away. At the end of the fourth set I was ready for a couple more. Success!

In conclusion:

This ordeal seems to have worked out OK for me. I was able to play during the year it took to complete the whole procedure, but it took a lot of patience and deterimation on my part. The recovery from the initial oral surgery was hard, but not overly so.

It was an expensive way to go, but I felt it was the best way to go.

The choices were:

Implant

Permanent bridge

Partial plate.

The partial was not an option, and the bridge meant filing down three perfectly good teeth to anchor the bridge.

The implant was the most expensive of the three, but I felt the best way to go and still play the way I do. (A lot of the expense was the bone graft I needed in my jaw)

All in all, take care of your teeth! Have them checked regularly.
    Have any problems taken care of.

This seems to have turned out well for me. I hope this story can help any others that may be facing a problem like this.

-cw-

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    YAY!!!

Very happy for you my friend. I know that was scary but you had a lots of folks pulling for you... and I don't mean the oral surgeon!

ML

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    OK.... "inquiring minds"..... can you write the "11 large" off as "professional expense"? :D

Really pleased things worked out for you on this one, Chuck. It isn't that often that dental "success stories" centered around brass players are heard.

5. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Congrats Chuck, glad to hear things worked out for you.

Warren

6. scream machine

scream machine Pianissimo User

Mar 26, 2006
    Woodland, AL
    What an ordeal, glad to see if worked out for you. I have braces and is a pain in the you know what. I have day's were my playing is great, then day's were I don't think i'll make it. I' ve had them for two year's and im geting them off May 18. It will take some time to recover, but the reward's will be great. I've been thought a lot a pain, but I thank god that im not you. :D Best of luck in the furture.

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Screamer wrote:
    Oh, I dunno, It can be pretty exciting being me sometimes! :roll:

-cw-

8. MGTrumpet

MGTrumpet New Friend

Nov 18, 2004
    Maple Grove, MN
    I agree with the suggestion to have a mold made of your teeth.

About twenty years ago I had a mold made of my top teeth when I thought I was grinding my teeth at night (a plastic device was made to put on my teeth to prevent the grinding).

Thirteen years ago, I was walking to work downtown when, in a sudden moment when I stopped thinking, I crossed the street in the middle of the block - forgetting that the transit buses go in the opposite direction. A couple steps out and I got hit by a transit bus (they move so quietly - and besides, I had headphones on - really stupid). The bus hit me along my left side and threw me back towards the curb. I must have gasped as I was hit (that opened my mouth) and the only part on my face that hit was the corner of my right front tooth - the bottom half snapped off! I also had some other scrapes on my hands, forehead, knees, etc.. Anyhow, I got to my dentist (a true artist) that afternoon with my mold in hand and said, "Can you rebuild it JUST like that?" He was able to build the tooth back up exactly as it had been before!

I was very lucky that my chops weren't chewed up. I think I was able to play a concert two days later.

Fortunately, I didn't lose the tooth. They only thing you can see now is a faint line where the original tooth meets the epoxy.

I was very thankful I had the mold of my teeth. I was also very thankful for the attentive bus driver that was able to slow a bit and veer the bus so it didn't hit me full on.

Now, I try to stay away from silently, deadly buses.

9. rdnkbkr

rdnkbkr New Friend

Aug 25, 2005
    Oklahoma City
    Chuck, First off, Big congrats on winning the new Eclipse.

I feel your pain on all of that dental work. Been there, but in a slightly different way.

I played cornet/trumpet back in 6th grade through 12th in high school. I wasn't great, wasn't bad. I held my own I guess. I had a layoff of 28 years. Ouch !!!!!! In the meanwhile, I had Bells Palsy in the early 90's. I regained some facial nerve control, but not all of it. Probably close to 75% at the most. Then there is my teeth,,,, or rather the lack of them. I have most of the bottom ones, but only two natural teeth on top. The canines. The rest of my top teeth are the store-bought variety. Denture, or more accurately a partial denture that looks more like a full, but who's counting. They are indeed mine as I still have the reciept for them.

But, I can still get a decent tone. More importantly, I am having fun with it.

I highly reccomend that everyone take care of your teeth, but if you do end up having dental problems, don't despair. The mind is more powerful than you think and you will be able to overcome.

Scott

10. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Chuck,

That's fantastic! I'm happy that this entire ordeal is finally over for you.

Take care,