A systematic approach to daily practise

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dreads, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Dreads

Dreads New Friend

Jun 9, 2010
    I'm going to start this 52 week course sometime this week, Any tips before I start? And no I don't have access to a teacher :/

2. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    Since you are internet savy, use a skype connection and go with an online teacher. It will be the best thing you do for yourself.

Best Wishes,

David

3. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I am a HUGE believer in BUYING all my books, because, not only is it not stealing that way, but the Internet can go down in a wink. It can go out for a week at a time here. Paper is much more real. A computer can break down. And it's a lot easier to put a book on a music stand, even if my music stand is a drawer partially out on a tool box with a ruler that has an edge on it holding the book.

I'm trying to be disciplined in learning which is why I'm going through the Standard Of Excellence book(s).

I'm going to look for this book though, and I could always order it from a music store too. Or a book store.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The real issue is that we do not need the excessive amount of stuff that we collect in the first place. Too many identify themselves with what they have instead of their character. How many people brag about how many hours of music that they have available? How many of those braggarts have listened to any of that stuff so intensely that they can understand and communicate what the composer/performer really meant?

The ONLY book one MUST have is the Arbans and there are some free, legal PDFs available. No other book will make you better than the Arbans book unless it is applied in a structured way. The chance of figuring that out all without help is probably inversely proportional to how much intellectual property has been stolen.

Does character count? You bet. Anybody willing to cheat the system will probably cheat me too.

5. Dreads

Dreads New Friend

Jun 9, 2010
    Thanks for the advice guys

6. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I gotta gets me an Arbans. Should have money in a couple of weeks, I'll have a friend order me one on Amazon.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  8. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I've long noted that if you download something, if you were to print it out and bind it, you'd spend about what it costs to buy it anyway. Some stuff, like test equipment manuals, may escape this rule but most things, this is true for.

I just like everything in paper form because as mentioned, I believe the internet can wink out at any time and stay down, as far as anyone in my area will know, for extended periods. Or if my computer dies, I don't have money for a new one so that's another issue.

Edit: I can't seem to download that anyway Rowuk, thanks but only a printed one will actually exist for me!