A talent for trumpet!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet-Golfer, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Trumpet-Golfer

Trumpet-Golfer Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2008
    Liverpool, England
    I started playing trumpet when I was 55 years old (I’m 59 now) I’ve made some progress during the last 4 ½ years due (IMHO) to sticking at it through thick & thin.
    However I’ve always thought that as in most walks of life some have an edge on others, including playing musical instruments.
    A week last Sunday we had a family get together to celebrate what would have been my Father’s 100th Birthday. After visiting the grave we had a good meal and then some returned to my place to carry on the celebration.
    Five minutes into a Footie(soccer) kick about, in the garden with two of my nephews and their young boys I cried off (frankly I was shattered) and decided to have a tootle.
    My nephews and their sons came into the kitchen (where I was practising) for refreshments sometime later, they all wanted to have a blow.
    I explained the basics in terms of mouthpiece position, finishing with just say Tah as you blow. My nephews (30 & 27 yrs) tried first and after making initial sounds both almost turned blue in the face trying to play higher & louder! Their eldest sons did OK (aged 10 & 8). However the youngest (7) was impressive. He played some good sounding notes with what looked like no effort at all, and got a round of applause from us all. They soon got bored and continued with the footie! I guess they want to be the next Steven Gerrard or Fernando Torres rather that Arturo Sandoval or Chris Botti.

2. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I remember letting a good friend in high school blow my trumpet. I gave him the usual 5 minutes of explanation on embouchure and taking a big breath and he hit a high C loudly almost immediately. All of his notes were at the third space C or higher partials. Of course he just plays keyboards...

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I had a similar experience with a 7 year old (daughter of friends). I had just gotten my first trumpet and could barely get a passable sound myself. It was a popular thing to try out with my friends and the very finest first sound came from this youngster. I also gave her the quick lesson, handed the horn to her (which was half as tall as she was), and was shocked with the first sounds. Clean, LOUD, and with tone. THAT kid, I told the parents, should be starting music lessons right away!

Turtle

4. porterjack

porterjack New Friend

Jul 30, 2010
    i guess kids, like in many other aspects of life, have less fear of failure and as such they just do it

5. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    If they start playing stuff in time/tune by ear then I'd say you have something. But just being able to get a tone, yeah, that's good.

6. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Very wise words.

7. TrumpetKid123

TrumpetKid123 New Friend

Sep 25, 2010
    My youngest sister is 3 and i let her try my trumpet and she could make a perfect sound, it was amazing

8. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    My son is 8 months old. I was playing trumpet in the bedroom a few days ago while he was crawling around the floor and standing next to the bed. He watched me and then the next thing I knew he started to make buzzing noises. When I put the trumpet down, he went for the mouthpiece and .... no didn't make a perfect sound ... just started sucking on it! Its a start anyway. Since then he seems really into making buzzing sounds. I guess I'll have to wait several years to see if he has real talent.