A teenage Boy's ego

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Nov 3, 2010.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    wait a minute -- I had to quote myself? maybe it is a gender thing. Here I am, a male, asking my friend (a female) for her unbiased opinion.

shouldn't I just say -- who cares? I am a trumpet player??

or have I matured over the years to ask for another's unbiased opinion?

oh my goodness! - what if my friend says I really suck at the trumpet?? what will I do then???

2. prcruiser

prcruiser Pianissimo User

Mar 29, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    He's a spoiled child suffering from an acute case of "Rectal Cranial Inversion". As the father of 3 boys I found that a rolled up newspaper across the snout is a very effective behavior modification tool. :-)

3. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    The question here is "Why waste your and your orchestra's time on a kid on an ego trip?":dontknow: Show the kid the door and tell him not to let it him on the butt on the way out.:thumbsup:

4. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    :shock: My translator just collapsed when I tried to run this through ROFL

I'm quite sure that you are right anyway :roll:

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I am not male. Perhaps it is my gender.
    ---------
    Yes it very well may be your gender. Guys act stupid around beautiful women.
    ---------
    The director will decide. Be careful not to get too involved.
    Let Sparky the Teenage Wonder Trumpet be the arbitor of his own demise or success.
    If it were me, I'd record some of the practices and burn him a CD of his playing.
    That usually puts things in glaring perspective.

6. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    Seems to be a lot of issues here.
    The best advise I can give:
    Tell him you have concerns about his ability to play the required part and what they are.
    Then give him a few CHORES so to speak to complete before you would consider him as being able to play the parts he wants.
    He will either run away or try his best to complete the chores.
    Being able to play 1st to 4th and UNDERSTAND it is a gift.

7. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    If the young man doesn't get his "come up ins" with the band now, he will sooner or later. Others may not be as kind as you. He should play the part he is better qualified for now and only move to solo parts when he is ready. He shouldn't be permitted to play the top horn part when others in the band are better suited for that. He may not believe those of you who see he is not ready, but looking back, he will.

Of course, when you (or the band director) says to the teenager: "I appreciate your willingness to play in the band, but I need to talk about your skill and technique." The young man may reply: "Oh, please don't praise my playing 'cause it's a gift!"

Best wishes,

Lloyd

8. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I see so much traceable to people never being raised so that they had to do chores as kids. Raise a kid so they don't have to make their bed, take out the trash, mow the lawn etc., and you're raising one of today's undisciplined monsters. Who never seem to accomplish much.

9. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    Perhaps teenage kid got worried about come-up-ance when the professional trumpet player shows up. He didn't come to tonight's rehearsal. My neighbor came and played second again. He's sounding pretty good on that part. I like the idea of recording both players and having each listen and pick who plays best. I will suggest that should ego boy come back.

Our community is fairly small, the education rather lacking, and that is evidenced by the number and quality of the musicians and the music programs in the schools. My husband teaches clarinet. Two of his students are first chair in different bands. One student is very very good. The other is well, not so great, but apparently better than the rest-likely because he takes lessons.

10. prcruiser

prcruiser Pianissimo User

Mar 29, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Recording has been a tremendous tool for us. Rather than critique my son I would simply record him and let him see and hear how he performed. We never really know what we sound like until we see a recording. We posted on youtube and the feedback has been a great morivator for him to practice and strive for improvement.