A time for celebration, and a refresher course.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rabid, May 3, 2013.

1. Rabid

Rabid New Friend

Oct 25, 2011
    I joined the forum a year and a half ago, deciding to pick up trumpet after 35 years. Soon after, dental work and braces set me back. I had no idea that Invisalign braces require spikes to be grafted onto your teeth, used to hold the braces and aid in the shifting process. Anyway, this week marks the end of daytime braces. The spikes are gone and I only have to wear a retainer at night. Now I’m ready to get back into playing trumpet.

Now I am looking for a tutor and the closest good teacher seems to be 60 miles away. This person has no openings on Saturday and I cannot miss work to drive that far during the week. So, my question. Does anyone know a good DVD or set of Youtube videos that would be a good refresher course? I don’t need to learn to play music, I need to learn correct trumpet technique. Something to help me avoid bad habits while waiting for a Saturday opening with a good instructor.

Any suggestions?

2. prls1power

prls1power Piano User

Feb 11, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Perhaps if you revealed your location, somebody would maybe know someone close to you that you may not be aware of yet :dontknow: Not trying to pry of course, everybody certainly has the right to their own privacy.

3. Rabid

Rabid New Friend

Oct 25, 2011
    Half way between Lexington KY and Knoxville TN. At 60 miles, Richmond KY is the closest college town.

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Sounds like the place officially known as "The Boonies." Great for privacy, hunting or living off the grid. Not as great for trumpet instruction... :-)

5. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Seems you're an ideal candidate for online instruction, Rabid. I believe there are a couple reputable teachers that post here on TM. Pops McLaughlin and Eric Bolvin come to mind, as well as others. Good luck!
    Jim

Pops Trumpet lessons help trumpet players become pros
    Music Lessons - Bolvin Music Studios

6. Rabid

Rabid New Friend

Oct 25, 2011
    Thanks for the responces and the PM's. Following up now.

Also nice for affordable housing. I'm not quite far enough out in the "boonies" to do without my Yamaha silent system.

7. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    Skype may be your best option. Someone mentioned Pops McLaughlin and Eric Bolvin. Bob Civiletti and Jerry Callet also teach online, I believe Jeff Purtle does too. Good Luck!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Skype is a great idea. I have a perfect person to recommend based now in Cincinnati Ohio. He is a Kanstul Rep for the region, and used to play professionally, with the task of being Elvis Presley for many many years. He is a master at Skype lessons. His name is Bruce Haag. You can get more information on him at Brucehagg.com

Hope this lead works. Welcome back to a new world of trumpet playing with a mouth of newly re-aligned teeth.

9. ThePorge

ThePorge New Friend

Feb 18, 2012
    Canton, GA
    ...might try this instead. Bruce Haag | Cincinnati and Online Trumpet Lessons

10. dBeav

dBeav Pianissimo User

May 1, 2013
    Detroit Area
    I would certainly look into some online instruction. That's what I'm doing after a 30 year layoff. While there are some limitations, having a structured plan and someone to receive encouragement from is a great beginning.