A too free blowing horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Jun 14, 2011.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    is too freeblowing horn sometines not a good thing .what I mean is if you are trying to build up your lung capacity would not a horn with a bit of resistance help,? thanks Anthony:play:

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi Anthony,
    actually, the "freeness" has a lot to do with the player. I think building lung capacity is best done in a swimming pool or with aerobics. On the trumpet we can use the benefits.

I do not think that either way promotes better breathing. Practicing things good for you can be effective with either one.

As the creation of a great tone with the trumpet is more based on a resonant style of playing and not so much moving tons of air, getting it right just means getting used to what you have.

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    If you want to exercise your lungs then start high heart rate aerobic exercising... you will be gasping for air soon enough. Buy a bag of ballons and blow them up. That is lung exercise.

Playing the trumpet.... depends on how you play. like Raphael Mendez doing hat dance in one breath? Loads of clarke etudes until you are gasping? That may make a difference...

I don't see the difference between a tight horn (old conn) and a big horn (Schilke B3, Yamaha 6345) being that big of a deal. Your lung capacity is already overwhelming to any sized trumpet.

4. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    okay thank you guys you answered my question Anthony