A tough decision.....HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ScreaminRaider, Mar 5, 2006.

  1. ScreaminRaider

    ScreaminRaider Piano User

    390
    2
    Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    Ok, so I just found out that a band director friend of mine s selling his Mt. Vernon B-flat for $2350......here's the problem.....I was actually going to buy a Picc this next week.

    I don't really need a Picc for what I do, and it is rarely used at my school, and I would really hate to pass this up (the horn is in very good condition).

    Do I....

    A) Forget the Mt. Vernon, becasue I already have a good Beefer in my Callet Jazz, and buy my picc....

    or,

    B) Go ahead and buy the Mt. Vernon, and at least put off buying the picc for awhile to see If I would truly have any use for it....making my Callet my Jazz/lead horn, and the Vernon my Legit horn.



    I don't know!!!


    HELP!!!!!!
     
  2. TopGun

    TopGun Pianissimo User

    184
    8
    Oct 28, 2003
    I would say get the Mt. V for 2300 ONLY if it is the best Bb you have ever played. I got one and to tell you the truth I don't like the way it plays much and I gave much much less. Many play great many don't.
     
  3. jcstites

    jcstites Mezzo Forte User

    810
    1
    Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    If it really is in great condition and you dont like it as much as your other Bb you could always put it on ebay later for a higher price. Nothing wrong with making a little money.

    Either way, play it and see if you really want it.
     
  4. trickg

    trickg Utimate User

    6,791
    3,555
    Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    $2300? In my opinion if you have that kind of money to put toward a horn, either buy the pic or get a smokin' new Bb, unless you have a burning desire to own a Mount Vernon Bach as a playing collectible.

    If I had $2300, I'd probably buy another Schilke - maybe a B1, IF I didn't buy myself a Pearl Masters 5-piece instead.
     
  5. ScreaminRaider

    ScreaminRaider Piano User

    390
    2
    Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    I decided today to go ahead and get my picc. I don't need another B-flat, because my Callet already does everything I need it to do.....


    Thanks for all the advice
     
  6. trickg

    trickg Utimate User

    6,791
    3,555
    Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Just a thought and a question before you run off and spend a lot of dough on a pic: Do you really think you will use it?

    I ask because I remember a time in my life where I HAD to have one, and through a friend of a friend, I was able to obtain a pretty nice Besson pic, and it was a good pic too - the only reason he was selling it was because he bought a Scherzer rotary valved pic and it was enough better than he was no longer playing the Besson.

    Anyway, I bought it and I think I performed on it once, maybe twice, and I ended up selling it because it was spending most of its time in the case. Same thing with my C trumpet and another Bb that I owned so I sold them all, pooled my money, and bought the first brand new horn I had ever owned in my life. I have NEVER regretted it and hindsight being what it is, I may not have bought the pic in the first place. Besides, for me, I would have gotten a lot more mileage out of a good D/Eb than a pic.

    Good luck - keep us posted on what you wind up doing. Oh, and if it was me, I'd DEFINITELY get the Pearl Masters, or maybe Tama Maple Starclassics. :D
     

Share This Page