A trip back in time! Sort of:

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I got asked; last minute by a friend to help out with a band booster project. He is the President of the Band boosters at a local high school and was doing a speghetti dinner last night. He is a good trumpet player and asked me if I'd come and do a couple of duets with him to help the kids and their ensembles entertain the paying dinner guests.

The music was not difficult so sight reading it was not biggie; I said sure why not. It was a neat expirence and took me back quite a few years. It was funny because when the kids played in their ensembles they did very well and got much deserved applause; when we played the room came to a stand still and after our numbers we got rousing rounds of applause. On one hand I felt great; on the other bad because this was for the kids not me!

After we played the whole High school trumpet section descended upon our table and started bombarding us with questions. It was wild; they were so impressed with our sound and how well we blended together. We were playing Christmas duets that trade the melody back and forth between the parts. Then they went crazy; one of them spotted my Monette B4S mouthpiece and was like,"Wow it's gold.... What kind of mouthpiece is that?"

I found it funny because today I would have first noticed the 42 year old Trumpet it was attached to and inquired about it first. That really blew their mind when I told them my Trumpet was a 1964 King Silverflair. I told them about the Monette mouthpieces and the trumpets. They noticed that I had brought another case and wanted to see what was in out. So I broke out my Bach "C" 229/25A and introduced them to that. It was like watching primates use tools for the first time! It was so funny and I just had to share it with you all. I let a couple of the trumpet players play my equipment which in many cases was far superior to their own and really enjoyed watching them play. Especially on the "C" you really find out who has good ears and who does not. Some of them had a near impossible time trying to play the "C" Charts that I had with me for the Phantom of the Opera. We were able to play a small part in raising money for the band and for that I'm grateful. I always wanted to try to give back to music what it has given to me.

It was a lot of fun and took me back quite a few years.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Sounds wonderful. WTG! I so enjoy reading your posts, from your lessons with Miss Yates to your playing, gigs, your genuine enthusiasm and now helping out younger players and their band.

Time to start teaching?

Happy Practicing,

Richard Oliver

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    John- I've been reading your posts for about a year now...thereabouts. And you know, that one, that was just about the nicest, warmest and most fulfilling thing. I am so happy you did that and had that experience. You've really come full circle, John.

4. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hey Richard thanks! Those are kind words.

Alex is a beyond finominal teacher. I can't even begin to tell you what her teachings have done for my playing. But; she reminds me that as much as I credit her; it was I who did the practice outside of our sessions.

I'd love to teach but I'm too late in the game for many reasons. I will tell you this. I enjoyed working with those kids emencely. If I get another chance no matter what the context; I'm in for sure!

I'm just one of the guys; nothing more; nothing less!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  5. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit

Glenn, Wow!

Thanks for your kind words. You're on a short list of people whom I hold in very high regard so that coming from you has really made my day.

I'm so grateful to this website for the friendships I've developed.

It was so cool! I know that you teach kids around this general age range so I'm sure you could easily picture there faces... But it was so funny; there's a "C" Trumpet? What's that? How does it work? Is there a fingering chart? I really think that I may have planted some orchestral seeds. Most of the trumpet players are interested in the Maynard Ferguson type playing but I saw some wheels turning in others. They asked me to play some of the lyrical Phantom of the Opera stuff I had with me and you could just see it in their eyes. It was way beyond anything I thought I would expirence that evening.

If they only knew!

Thanks guys really!

6. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    There's a whole passle of 5th grade to 8th grade trumpters who need what you have John.

That's what I've got my eye out for. Some way to "give back."

Regards,

Richard

7. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    John,

I was able to attend my niece's first Christmas concert tonight and I can totally relate. The Junior High and High School had their concerts together which I thought was a great idea. It was a blast talking to the kids back stage before the performance while remembering that I was just as scared at my first concert as they were tonight. The music was great and I had a chance to get to know some of the kids I will be working with next semester. Little do they know that I will be joining the staff at the Junior High next month to help out the trumpet players. This is going to be so much fun!

8. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    How exciting! Good for you; you're gonna love it!

I'd love a chance to help out the local kids!

It really was so much fun. I guess it's been a long time since I was so nieve about anything that wasn't my Selmer/Bundy Trumpet and Bach 3C mouthpiece! I never knew what lay just beyond the band room you know?

All the best,
    John