A True Cornet Tone?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by note360, May 27, 2008.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If the shop has an appropriate used one knocking around, and you don't care about the lacquer, probably $40 or so. If I were dabbling in the cheap cornet field, I'd start out with a newer Ambassador that has a standard receiver. I don't think the quality difference between the L.A. and older Fullerton models is enough to worry about or notice.

2. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    Since I have your attention, ebay has for sale was is supposed to be a Civil War cornet:

Civil War Era Rotary Cornet - 4 valves - nickel silver - eBay (item 120266919496 end time Jun-04-08 14:08:38 PDT)

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Oh my goodness, yes!! They can get the old school dark (almost colorless) cornet sound, yet can brighten up to what would be a real "pretty" trumpet sound--the vibrato is a bit fast and wide for my taste, but they've got the sound thing figured out, and play some pretty cool arrangements, too.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Oh my goodness, yes!! They can get the old school dark (almost colorless) cornet sound, yet can brighten up to what would be a real "pretty" trumpet sound--the vibrato is a bit fast and wide for my taste, but they've got the sound thing figured out, and play some pretty cool arrangements, too.

5. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    Hmm, thanks. I mean I got the cornet for a pretty good price as is. I may use the Olds to get around the horn at first, then later find some one certified to install the new receiver.

Any one knwo of ne one qualified in the Long Island area.

I pretty much already accepted that this was going to be a nice long fixer upper cornet.

6. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
  7. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Sure - just play it as-is with the Olds 3 for a while and get used to it. If you really like it and think it has potential, then dump a little money into it or another mouthpiece that fits. If you frequent eBay, you may even find an older big-shank Olds cornet mouthpiece in a larger size than a 3. Not likely, but an Olds 1 would be a nice find. Here's some info on other mouthpieces that may work on these horns.

Olds Large Shank Cornet Mouthpieces

8. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Although the instrument is probably quite different to the modern Shepherd's hook Cornet, i love Jules Levy's cornet playing. Even with that rusty old recording gear, you can still hear a cornet player of stunning skill and musicality. I ignorantly thought that the modern cornet virtuoso was "as good as it gets", but i couldn't have been more wrong.

Here is a link to a recording a Jules Levy that you might enjoy. You will find the audio link about 2/3s down the page. The piece is called Du Du with Variations.

Claude Gordon

You will also find Herbert Clarke and other old style cornet players on the page.

Enjoy[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]";-) Du D[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]" Du Du wit[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]" Du Du with variations" [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]u with variations" [/FONT]

9. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Wow Bloomin'! Very nice. How bout that vibrato in the beginning. Reminded me of the bands in Britain.

This is really very nice. A sound clip find that I'm enjoying muchly!

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    In my opinion it is pretty difficult to best the cornet work done by most of the top Salvation Army bands and their fantastic cornetists. Their recorded works are readily available in most nations of the world. If you are hunting for true cornet tone, David Dawes or Roger Webster are mighty difficult to best.

OLDLOU>>