A Venting session

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by bigaggietrumpet, Jan 20, 2005.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    You know, there are times when life just really sucks. I got an email from the department of Undergrad research here, announcing a lot of new PAID research opportunities. One was just extremely interesting, and had me wiping drool off my keyboard. This one was a chance to study the indepth physics of sound waves and vibrations through space and materials at Colorado State University. They were even looking for mechanical engineers. 5000 bucks to study something I've wanted to for 10 weeks during the summer (compare that to working in the oilfield and you'll see why I REALLY wanted this), plus housing covered and a 300 dollar trip allowance. I thought it was a gift from Heaven, that maybe life was starting to look up. Nope. Turns out you have to have taken all your sophomore engineering courses, which I'm still working on my freshman courses. So not only can I not do this, I might not be able to do it next summer either, if they even have the same research opportunity. ARGGHHH!!!!

back to the oilfield this summer, I guess...

2. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Y'know, its strange. I have to vent on here as well, but its a bit more trumpet oriented....

Van

3. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    I think it was trumpet related... ya see he's an engie major... Those courses take a lot of time. So he doesn't have enough time to practice his axe.. So since he SUXS so much (j/k bro) they have to ship him off to the oilfields in the summers!! LOL

4. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    How it's trumpet related: let's think, shall we? The behavior of sound waves. No, I couldn't possibly see how accoustics would affect trumpets....

And unless you've worked in the oilfield, you just wouldn't understand.

5. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Naw, I meant my ranting was a bit more trumpet related, since the high school teacher at one of the schools I teach essentially called me a moron for not pushing his students towards a B&S Intermediate.

That, and he called my Olds Ambassador "A piece of junk."

And he's a euphonium player. :dontknow:

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Van

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!

[​IMG]

Say, whut?

7. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    no big, Van. That was just my sarcastic side turning loose. Sounds like the guy is a real loser.

Toots, what on earth is that?

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    THAT is a photo of a trumpet bell resonating at a specific frequency. For pictures of the same bell and how it "vibrates" at different frequencies, please go to http://vanadium.rollins.edu/~tmoore/research1.htm and click on the link "Physics of the trumpet". From there check out all of the links. The photo is from the first one.

A bit of review of those photos and some careful thought will quickly lead the viewer to consider the relative importance of the actual "bell vibration" (as contrasted with "air column vibration"), the coloring of the sound as a result of same, the potential for bell material/design/construction to effect the resonation, and the possibility of different bells to have totally different effects on the feedback and response that the player experiences!

Enjoy.

(Who says engineering doesn't have applications in the arts?)

9. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Yeah, I've been thinking about getting together a small book for my students, showing them the horns available to them at certain price ranges (With pics of the models in question). Maybe having a listing of good dealers to call and work with.

There would be a section on used instruments, ebaying, and I would have a section on "Frankenhorning," as well...

It could work, actually. I could spend my spare time on it in the library (I despise my dial up now that I use DSL at school).

Van