A VERY brief survey. If you could fill it out, I'd be much appreciative!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jazzy816, Sep 19, 2015.

1. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I can only say - as I said in the survey - that here in Europe, both brands are virtually unknown and unavailable. Hercules, Torpedo and - mostly - K&M are the ruling brands. K&M especially have such a wide range of stands that almost any musician will find a suitable stand from their selection. I own three - a small, compact one for packing in the top lid of my Ritter gig bag, a large, folding one that is still wind-safe when extended to a comfortable height when playing standing up, kitted out with a folding mute holder and trumpet hook, and an orchestral one that bears a utility tray and a mute tray. Both folding stands have their own carrying bags with shoulder straps. I am not looking for anything further. Extremely durable stuff - the small folding one was bought by my grandfather (violinist in the local chamber orchestra) in 1965 and is still in pristine condition, even though it has been in constant use for 51 years.

2. JRgroove

JRgroove Mezzo Piano User

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    my favorite stand is made by PEAK stands. $35.00 Made of hard plastic. Very light, easily folds into it's carry case, the ledge is deep enough to hold two real books. It's stable set up high. I often play standing so this is important to me. The total diameter of the three legs can be set shallow or deeper. This makes the stand easy to use behind an electric piano where foot space is premium. I find it to be the perfect small combo stand.

Further... I have a duffle bag full of various stands that I have picked up over the years. They see little use. I have three Peak stands. They serve well for my playing situations. I keep the others for people to borrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    The survey is pretty meaningless.

For me, if you say "Manhasset stand," I have one image in my mind -- the music stand every music program I played in growing up had, and the one I eventually bought for my own use. I'm aware that there are a few other models of Manhasset stands, including the Voyager, which has folding legs for improved portability. But in my mind, Manhasset stands are big, sturdy, fairly expensive, and not terribly convenient to haul around. And yet I like them enough I bought my own years ago and haul it to most gigs I'm expected to provide a stand for.

And to me, a "Hamilton stand" is the flimsy thing my parents bought for me to use at home when I started playing trombone when I was 10. I just did a web search, and I'm talking about the Hamilton that currently sells for less than $10. And yet that same search informed me that Hamilton also makes music stands that cost over $50, a fact I was previously unaware of. As far as I know, I've never seen one of these exotic sturdy Hamilton stands.

Which Hamilton stand might the survey be asking about -- who knows?

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I wonder why the OP has not responded to my question, or to any of the other responses in this thread? Perhaps the survey was not that important to him or her anyway?

--bumblebee

5. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    Idk, but they haven't been on the site since the first post.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Caught with their hand in the cookie jar.......?

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Most surveys/polls are biased, whether by intentional design or by ignorance of proper methods by the question writer. It is more work to formulate totally unbiased questions, so even if the survey writer has no intention of doing so, many times the questions are biased based on his/her own preferences or lack of knowledge of the subject.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It did seem a bit biased when I took it, and I also thought that it wasn't structured very well to get any kind of real, usable data from it, but I answered it anyway.

As for whether or not someone has a beef against Manhasset stands, I don't really see how anyone could. I've always preferred Manhassets to both Hamilton or Wenger, which are the other two most common brands I've seen in band rooms. For a basic practice room or concert band stand, the Manhasset, in my experience anyway, seems to be the stand all others are compared to.

The National Guard band I'm in uses Peak stands, but that's more of means to an end - when they are folded up and put away in their carry cases, they are small, lightweight, and don't up a lot of space. It's a nice enough product though, and I might get one just to have so that I always know I have a decent stand no matter where I'm gigging.

9. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    If you think the linked survey to be biased then why not bias it further, but not as they want. :evil:
    Fill it in with much praise for the marvellous qualities of manhasset, and ignore the other one...

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I like your attitude. If I wasn't so anal about process, I would take that advice. Log in from every computer that I have, my wifes and kids too. Nope. I hope that Jazzy learns something about being an entrepreneur. If customers get the impression that you are trying to influence them and your story isn't good, they don't tell you, they simply don't come back!