A Visit To The New York Trumpet Company!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by ALLCHOPS, Feb 14, 2005.

1. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    On Sunday my wife and I decided to take a drive down to Brooklyn and meet with Felix and his wife. Felix had some visitors from Europe who brought some horns with them and he thought that I might like to play them.

I was about a half hour late so when we arrive it appeared that they were waiting for me. When I walked into the room there were 8 of the most beautiful trumpets waiting for me as well as a flugel horn, 3 strange guys and a woman who I have to say had pretty good english considering where they come from. :D :D :D

The gentlmen from Europe were Mr. Anton Possegger from Possegger Brass and man by the name of Johan from Austria(Great Jazz Trumpeter).

Anton had 2 of his horns named "New Generation" lite and heavy.

Both had 5 1/2" Bells with bracing that allowed you to interchange lead pipes according to your taste. The bell bow & tuning slides on both were shaped in a way that gave the horn a sex appeal if you will! The valves were just amazing, in fact unlike anything I ever felt!!!

Great job Anton... By the way, Felix is the exclusive dealer in the USA for these absolute masterpieces!

Next was the Eclipse LR & MY. I had the opportunity of playing these horns a few years ago thanks to Bruce Lee from Northern Brass... Thanks Bruce, that was a hoot!

Again, beautiful in a way that just makes anything else I've ever owned look up. Both played great and the valves were tremendous!

The Taylor Chicago Custom and The Taylor Chicago ll 46 Lite were another animal not seen to much in this part of the world! The Custom was the heaviest horn I've ever held. The valves again were a cut above what ever horn builders are using over on this side of the pond! The Lite was really nice, at half the weight it was still the next heaviest horn there... These horn builders above deserve so much credit in there "Out Of The Box Thinking" it's not even funny!

Next was a Spiri Vario - Swiss made, this horn had the ability of interchanging bells as well as lead pipes... Again, great great valves...

The last trumpet was a Yamaha 734 Zenith with a Taylor Conversion. I believe this involved the bracing and the lead pipe. Best Yamaha I ever played and in it's price point a real steal!

The playing aspect of each of these horns without making this an all out review was fantastic yet different for each horn! The slotting and intonation are far superior to those horns that I've owned over the years from our "Biggies"...

The build quality is what really impresses me. I have spent probably $12,000.00 in 7 years on what I and most of you feel to be the best horns available!! My reasons for this is because I have been unable to find that horn that suits me. Some around here and other places claim that the horn doesn't make the player yet the player makes the horn! While I agree to an extent I now believe that anyone of these great horns above made a difference in my thought process, approach and attitude which equated to sound, power and a good attitude...

My next comment may ruffle some feathers but having spent that amount of money above has spawned it! I have owned most of the "Biggies" if you get my drift with the exception of Monette! Why are these European horns so far and above the products (Same Price Point) that are put out over here? The valves , the bracing, the workmanship, the fancy caps...I could go on and on. With the exception of Mr. Taylor's horns these were all priced similarly yet I left Felix's scratching my head! Basically it's like this, Lincoln or BMW for about the same dough? I now know what I would pick, hands down..

This is really not to slight any of the trumpets made here in the US but simply to get some people to take off the blinders and make judgements based on quality and thought... Afterall, these Horn makers have taken the extra time and care for our benefit! They deserve that in return...

Playing them was another enlightenment. I am not a consistent Dubba C player. In fact, I have always had a problems getting the high B just below to slot or center. With the exception of the Custom Taylor(Heavy) because I did not bother, every note slotted to super C and above on all of these horns.... In fact, I played more dubba "C's" in 30 minutes than I have in 5 years combined! Again, walking out of Felix's house scratching my head! These were real notes with volume and tone..I'm still scratching!!! The tone in the mid to low registers were as even as it gets! The double pedals even sounded impressive...

I can't forget Felix's baby The Stage 1. I had that horn a few weeks back for 1 week and it gave me the same feeling. He has a Lightweight version coming out in April that I can't wait to play, Hurry up!

If any of you are in the market for a great horn(A keeper so to speak) you have to try some of these or you'll be cutting yourself short!

I was in a room with about $30,000.00 worth of pride, it was evident beyond a shadow of a doubt!!!

The pleasure was all mine in meeting the fine people I met on this day.. I am better for that.

Thanks for reading!

Peace,

Tony G :D :D :D

2. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    Thanks Tony ,for your kind words.
    I am still fixing the cracks in my windows from your dubba "C's".Did you try to blow the bells of these horns ,or what? :-)
    It was a real great experience meeting Anton Possegger(and you too,Tony),we did have a lot of fun.I could not even play with you ,i was so
    intimitdated by the great players i had in my house.I wish we just had more time.
    Guys,if you are ever around the New York area,you are more thatn welcome to stop by and have some fun with all my horns.
    BTW,Tony,the Possegger trumpet has 5 different bells and 12 leadpipes,all interchangeable.I am getting my first order by the end of April.

Felix

3. fatpauly

fatpauly Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2003
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    Felix -

Any chance of you coming down to George Mason University for the National Trumpet Competition next month? I sure would like to meet you and try your fine instruments?

Ditto to all you other dealers and makers out there!

- Paul Artola
    Ellicott City, Maryland

4. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    Hi Paul.
    I wish i could be there,but i am getting ready for a Music Fair in Germany this April.It takes a lot of time and strength to get ready for this event,i have not had a chance to get out of New York as well.
    After the Germany i will most definitely attend our shows.
    Thanks,
    Felix

5. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    BTW,for you guys that don't know Tony"ALLCHOPS"
    ,there is a little bit info from his resume:
    experience: Out of Control (Albany, NY), Tower of Power, Bon Jovi, Ben E. King, Alex Torres & The Latin Kings (Albany, NY), Blues Other Brothers (Syracuse, NY), Bobby Vinton.
    recorded works: BURNERS U.K. EP CD "Burnin' Down The House" (1999); 1 album with Out of Control (Shake the Nation, 1997), two albums with Alex Torres & The Latin Kings.
    of note: Having developed a passion for his instrument early in life, Tony honed his craft playing with the Avant Guard Drum & Bugle Corps, an award-winning marching group. Labeled a prodigy, he quickly gained national recognition, and was hired by top national artists including Ben E. King, Bobby Vinton, Tower of Power and Bon Jovi.

I just tought i would share this information
    Felix

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Bebop2

Bebop2 New Friend

Jan 9, 2004
    Felix and horn trial

Tony,
    Which one of these horns would you choose, if you could only choose one?

Jim

7. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Felix,

Anton Possegger's horns look great. Like Tony said love the curves on the New Generation series. Valves look familiar as well!!

Found his web site here: http://members.aon.at/possegger/perinet.htm

When I'm in the UK this summer I'm definitely going to have a look at Hub van Laar and may look at these as well. I'm not looking to replace the Taylor mind you but heck, playing new trumpets is like trying new cars (only better)!!!

Regards,

Trevor

8. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Here is a pic. Those curves really are different:

[​IMG]

9. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    If I had to pick 1 horn in that room on that day,

The horn I most enjoyed and kept going back to was Mr. Possegger's "New Generation" Lite model. I was drawn to it's sound in all registers and it never backed up on me once(ML Bore). I gave it everything I had and it took it :D :D :D :D :D ing ... This horn had a briliance up and down which is what I like and need. Playing with big amplification, 2 guitars, keyboards and a rock drummer I need that sizzle in the middle register to come from the horn and not me.

I did however feel that way with Felix's Stage 1 as well but having not palyed it in a few weeks made it somewhat diificult to judge... I am waiting for his lite model(Stage 1 "California") to get over here because it will be more geared towards commercial playing and that is what I do...

The Taylor Chicago ll 46 lite behaved in the same manor but I would give the edge to Anton's horn!!! If "NG" wasn't there It would have been between the Eclipse LR and the 46.

Gotta go now, my 4 year old son is a little sick..

Chow,

Tony G

10. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    Trevor,the Possegger horns look a lot better thatn the picture,he is changing his website a bit.I will have new pictures posted in a few weeks.
    The horns are very unique and play great.If you have a chance to try them,please do,you will be in for a treat.