A year and a half of progress

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bwanabass, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Well, I was just sitting here thinking about playing trumpet, and my somewhat recent comeback, and I just have to say how excited I am. It's been about a year and a half, and I am stronger all around now than I was when I was at my peak in high school and college. When I picked the horn back up after so many years off, it was really just to get in good enough form to blast through one song at my old rock band's reunion show. That show was last August, and now, about a year later, I have several regular trumpet gigs going on. I feel like I've come a long way, and I thought I'd share my excitement with my fellow TMera.

I read in another post just now from that gent (sorry, I forgot his handle) that has been playing cornet on tour and was wondering where to take it from there. I say take it wherever you want it to go. It feels great to practice and work hard, and to enjoy a little but if payoff. Keep playing and let it take you where it will.

There's still lots of work to be done, but I have to say that rediscovering my passion for playing the trumpet has been incredibly rewarding. Of course, I still have those days where I just want to bury my horns in the backyard, but working through rough spots is part of the process, I suppose.

cheers!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Sounds like a first trumpeter attitude to me! THAT Steve, is your secret weapon! Passion and putting mild setbacks behind you - great motivation for others.

3. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks, Robin! That means a lot!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This time of year posts like yours are especially important. After school is out, so many players fall apart - it makes me wonder how they survived the last 6 months. Your post points the way - small steps FORWARD, take fate into your own hands! JUST DOING IT.

Thank you! It means a lot!