aaaarrgh - timing!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by revjames, Jul 18, 2012.

1. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    I like it. Cant say thats how I do it mind.... :)

2. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    OK I'm feeling brave here goes please be gentle with me. Its nothing fancy, BIAB backing with 5 verses on the Xeno.

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Hey! Don't get offended, but that's a lot better than I was expecting. The problems you were explaining as this thread began, gave me the impression that things were dire. Or, maybe, with enough time and good advice, you worked them out. At any rate, nice job.

Not to let you get away so easily, :D, there are things I might advise to make it a more effective performance, but I won't. It seems to me that for the time being, you just need to keep on doing what you're doing and refining things as it goes along. Very decent intonation, BTW.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I'm with kehaulani, better than your OP led me to expect. Timing is not bad. Keep working at it and it will come. Doing it with live musicians will be different, but get it into your head and you'll manage it live much better. Don't forget to listen to the group and use the 1st/3rd slides on that low D.

5. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Thanks for the kind comments. I have been playing this a lot this week and as people have said knowing the tune off by heart helps as you can work on the timing without worrying about which notes to play! I will certainly listen out for the low D although tuning to the track on the PC may not have been spot on, it was all a bit rushed. Just need to allow lots more practice time....

6. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Play your tunes in shorter phrases so that you can hear the background chords more often. Try playing every other phrase. This is also a good way of building stronger chops.

7. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Bass players always get the women...so maybe you should keep the horn for a hobby and play the bass for vanity :) Don't worry I think you will get it...

Forget the precise toe tapping and go with the flow of the conductor. Follow his idiot stick to the heavens it will make playing easier.

8. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    there isnt exactly a conductor just a nutter on a vibraphone waving his beaters frantically at whoever messes up... :) not about to give up bass playing as I do enjoy it, very relaxing in fact. Sometimes at church (where I always play bass) I will sometimes, swap between bass and trumpet for the odd refrain or chorus, for some reason timing not such a big deal there...

9. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Timing still an issue, however a different challenge - I have kinda joined a brass band, the guy who teaches me dragged me along, I sat in on back row, soon found out the xeno trumpet was a bit 'in yer face' and stuck out like a sore thumb when I was wanting to blend in and not be noticed. Luckily I also have a cornet albeit a cheap Amati so tried that for the second half. Although I was only playing 3rd parts, most pieces were foreign to me and I had no prior knowledge of them so sight reading was a challenge also counting 24 bars in between sections.. luckily a young girl on my right was playing the same parts and kindly pointed to the notes on the few occasions I got lost......

So now involved in jazz, Church and Brass band.... is there anything else I cas squeeze in?

10. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Brass bands generally don't like trumpets in their ensemble for the trumpet does not fit the style. Especially British Brass Bands. If you still want to play your trumpet, a great way to tone it down is by attaching a Sound Sleeve to your mouthpiece. It brings down the high overtones a little.

As far as a new ensemble to join, I heard that a new Bluegrass band is starting up in Branson, I could put in a good word for you if you want.