aaaarrgh - timing!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by revjames, Jul 18, 2012.

1. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Thanks but I think 3 bands are enough to keep me busy for now!

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    James,

I have a similar problem, when I am playing without a conductor (ie not at band which after tonigt might be more often than not, sorry won't rant but it was a bad night) If I'm not careful I start to busk tunes I know instead of reading the dots and the rests. So the result is a bastardisation (I hope that language used corrrectly doesn't offend it is legit) of what is on the page and what is in my head. The only way I have found round it is to be "metronome strict" until I have the piece ready to go then to play with it a bit.

Any help

3. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    thanks Andy that made me laugh.... I can tell you are a Yorkshireman! are you going to that jazz workshop in Nov? maybe I'll join you and if its crap we'll go to the pub instead.....

4. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Just got to raise some funds James, On what I make as a Lolipop man and a lunch time supervisor £75 quid is a lot of money. However I do want to go so its a bit we'll see at the mo

5. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    PS but at least I'm not scrounging on Benfits (I'd be better off if I was but it's not me)

6. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    sounds like you have that job licked... I guess you heard that a few times seriously good on ya for your work, important job it is too. Yes £75 a lot for me too and not to mention 500 mile round trip...

7. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I actually love the job and after the problems I have had (you must have read my I'm back thread) It's just good to be working and not living completely off familly any more. Actually what I really want to do is teach high brass. I have one pupil and he is coming on great (I've taught family members to grade three and on passing them on I have always been told that they have great basics) That's why I'm so keen on working towards my grades, 7 next.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Stay the course Andrew - do what you can to do what you want - it's your life, no-one is more entitled to it than you - make it count with good stuff. I may grumble about work, but in essence I have done EXACTLY what I have always wanted to do, and I am content. Teaching well makes me content - hmmm, so does a sausauge sanger and a glass of Guiness - but the teaching is for the future of the world, the drinks and sangers are selfish (but nice).

9. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Thanks Ted I needed a smile this morning after a Band Practice last night that I nearly walked out of, I love playing in bands but the one I'm in at the moment seems to be the second or even third choice of a lot of players. Not sure I'll be with it much longer

10. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    well I am making my debut at the Jazz Club on monday. Actually already have since someone told them I play BASS! so have been playing bass guitar. This week someone has picked 'Fly me to the moon' and its the same key so I will get up and give it a go. Interestingly the song they chose (from realbook) is in 3/4 where most versions I have seen on BIAB for example are in 4/4 any ideas why its in 3/4 on this occasion?