aaaarrgh - timing!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by revjames, Jul 18, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    the composer only had 3 fingers!!!???? it's easier to phrase and find spots to breathe at!!!???? it's just easier to write the score that way!!???

2. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    still soulds exactly the same when I play it!

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and that is the art of a great composer --- we have a piece in community band in 10 measures it goes from 2/2, to 2/4, to 3/4, to 6/4, then finally begins a passage that lasts awhile in 6/8. I often wondered why -- then when I look at it, I really think it was just easier to write the transition to 6/8 that way!!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Revjames. Put the trumpet down! Do it now!!! There you go. Now choose the song you want to play to a back up recording. Download the words to the song. Now play the recoding background and SING the words to the background (the trumpet is still put down right). How did the singing go? I bet easier. Sing it again and again until you have the lyrics to the melody down pat.

OK NOW pick up the trumpet, and play through the verse, READING the words of the song that you have transcribed under the corresponsing notes. So how is it going now? Yeah I know, you don't have to thank me. Solving problems is what I do best.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  5. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    yes thats good advice and actually what I do when practicing church songs. I dont have a music manuscript as such just a sheet with the words on so I scribble the notes in the right places relative to the words!

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    good ole GM, comes through again ----- that technique is very common in my community band, as the conductor makes us sing the passage and rhythm --"tah, tah,ta,ta,tah, tahhhhhh,tahhhhh,ta,ta,tah" ----- but it actually works --- or else we don't like getting embarrased by the conductor, so we pay attention!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    We have had this concept offered to us numerous times here on TM - there was even a thread asking if we were able to sing - it didn't ask if we could sing in tune, that's relatively unimportant. Strangely enough though, as my trumpetting improves so does the musicality of both my singing and my whistling. I think the Doc has prescribed 'good medicine' here.

8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Its such obvious advice that I thought the good reverend wouldn't need our devine intervention with it Sorry James I should have come up with that sooner, Well done Doc

9. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    all advice is welcomed. Timing continues to be my bugbear. I play bass at jazz club and done even bother with the music or key sigs I just play, walking bass, in time without even thinking. Trumpet however, better if theres an accompaniment but still tricky to say the least - and counting rests etc at brass band practice... dont even go there. Anyway spare a thought for me as I hit em with 'fly me...' a bit later thi evening. Actually not feeling 100% and lungs quite wheezy hope I've got enough wind to blow.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    No one has mentioned the good old metronome in a couple of pages. How did it go with that?