aaaarrgh - timing!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by revjames, Jul 18, 2012.

1. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    I have a metronome app on my android phone which works well, strangely though the old fashioned ones work best for me not least because I can see the time status by looking at the arm going back and forth.

2. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    well I made my debut tonight at the jazz club, put down the bass and stood up to the music stand and waited til it was 'my turn' .... got the nod and blew my first note.... nothing, kept trying - nothing 4 or 5 bars later it was back and I managed to do a reasonable rendition. Hate it when you lose your chops!

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Were you relaxed, or a little nervous? Cotton mouth does not help either. Any cotton there. In reading your prior posts, I know you could have nailed this. Let us know a little more detail as to the situation when playing, and maybe we can advise.

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    That's pure nerves pal gotta get back in the saddle and do it again. At least it sounds like pure nerves, Hydrate well, obviously it wouldn't be smokey in there.

I remember my first comeback concert. I'd arranged an easy summertime for clarinet, flute and two trumpets. Clarinet as a feature, for a friends daughter as a school thing. First time I'd played my own arrangement in public and I got the same thing, the shakes the dry mouth the lip that wouldn't cooperate the tongue that felt like dried escargot. Course I made up for it closing the concert with the second movement of the Haydn and the nerves had gone.

On a side note arrgggg ignition timing well I though that's what it was, what do you call a gutlesss wonder of a car(1L with three cylinders) when the coil is faulty (Sorry Mods I know its only just by the skin of its teeth on topic but) driving round yourkshire when your car start to misfire is horrid.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
    gmonady likes this.
  5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Sorry to double post but something has just occurred, James, how do you cope with brass band timing, when you have a conductor, do you find that easier? Might help to imagine a conductor when you are practising the jazz pieces. For me the key is having the timing off before you play then you can relax into the piece. Actually I suspect you might be getting to hooked up on timing then you might be forgetting to play the piece. It's a very easy trap to fall into

6. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    I guess I was alittle nervous, I did a solo verse as an intro to a song at church last week. The same happened there - there was less pressure on me as it was a solo, it started when I started but was still awkward. At the club I guess I was apprehensive as I hadnt played with these guys and wasnt sure if I would hear the rhythm to keep in time etc. There was absolutely nothing there at all and very dry. lessons for next time and there will be a next time I am not put off.

Andy I am finding the band practices a great help, I am on the back row but still loving it, they warm up with hymns most of which I know and can play confidently but they are working on a test piece for a comp which is very complex. I am managing to follow the score and come in when I need to etc, There are usually a couple of others playing the same part and they point me in the right direction but the other week I was the only person on 3rd EEEEEK. I try to blend in and not stand out f you know what I mean but yes its good for my timing issues which was the main reason I joined.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    How in the dickens does brass work into a pure bluegrass sound?

8. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    There just has to be a joke about bishops and actresses somewhere in here...

ROFL

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    To do this well, one has to hyphenate out the word syllables.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Perhaps this dates back to the Gregorian chants, if not earlier. That's the way I often thought Johnny Cash performed, especially on his comeback.