aaaarrgh - timing!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by revjames, Jul 18, 2012.

1. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
  2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Very nice James, could I suggest a duet verse between horn and bone would have been fun it would have pulled the piece around more, and just for me the higher note slured down sounds a little squeezed, maybe a little more relaxation because they are easily there.

3. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Thanks for the comments Andy, we were having a jam this aft and just messing about and I decided to record on audacity. One take no editing. Its funny you should say about squeezed notes and relaxation because Tim (trombone) who also coaches me is always saying I'm trying too hard and to relax more.

4. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Well from my lips to my own ears, to be honest. I warm up and fly to C above the stave on a cornet with no pressure on me, I'm sure you read my "Woo Hoo" thread, well despite enjoying myself imensley, at times I couldn't pitch a C in the stave confidently. It was just pressure, mental not physical. If relaxation is a problem for you I would suggest some breathing exercises, I find if all else fails relying on them brings me back to a "centre"

Cheers

A

5. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Had a bit of a gig on sunday afternoon. I chose 'All of Me' and 'St Thomas' - all the Jazz Club players choose a couple of songs. I decided to play 'All of Me' on Bass Guitar and have to say I nailed it and was even dropped inb for a solo. When St Thomas came around, despite playing it all week it was same old story, inability to follow other instruments, timing, missing notes etc... very disappointing. Perhaps I am just not ready to perform publically (although its not a problem in church?).. I will persevere. Everyone says relax more... not easy

6. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    It's very nice you are getting the backing from the others. I still think you are probably over thinking things with the trumpet (are you still palying cornet with the band cos I am convinced that will help). You are ready to perform in public if you think you are It sounds as though you feel more presure in the Jazz club than you do in church. So how about organising a concert for Church funds so you are playing in your environment, use the guys from the jazz club your self anyone who wants a blow, sing or play from the congregation. It might mentally start to bridge the gap between both playing worlds for you.

Just a thought

Cheers

A

7. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    They love it when I play bass - I guess playing bass for them means they will put up with my bad trumpet playing! a trade off.

I still go to band practice and that scenario is improving in fact I have been asked to play in a concert in Bangor Cathedral in a couple of weeks - back row but its a start.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Can you get a trumpetting mate to join you and play duets (well, the same arrangement together). I know you can't follow him because then you would be "behind the stick" as it were but it may help - I always lift to another (better) player.

9. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    That does help and there are some arrangements with duets its just the way they do the club with various people taking a verse or 2 when prompted. When I am at the band it is easier because there are others playing the same parts.

10. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Well its jazz club time again tomorrow, I am playing bass for most numbers but will be doing 'All of Me' and 'Misty' - had a bit of a jam session this week with the trombone player and the pianist (who is 86 by the way!) it seems a lot easier playing slower ballads so from now on I will be choosing the slower songs. Also noticed its easier following a bass line as the pianist was playing an organ with bass pedals but the trouble is he plays a grand piano at the club and the bass player stops when the trumpeting starts because I cant play the 2 at once!