aarrrg breathing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Mar 12, 2005.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Hello

So I am trying to tackle the Bitsch (4 varitation on a theme by Scarlatti)

Man oh man I am having trouble coordinating my tounging and breathing when traveling down the register. I have no trouble tounging upward intervals but for some reason my breath does not support the downward motion. Can anyone offer advice?

It's not just on this piece. I normally have trouble coming back down on arpegios as well. (especially when tounging)

Eric

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Eric,

Your tongue is arched high as you descend and it's interfering with blowing through the notes. They're getting caught. Practice SLOWLY keeping your tongue quieter and lower as you descend from up high. It's going to feel weird at first so practice slowly with full-blooded, longer notes. Practice different etudes from another book that accomplish the same idea then go back later or another day to the Bitsch.

ML

3. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Yeah, the Bitsch is a tough one to master...........

;-)

4. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    wow, Manny

Thanks for the tip! But how do you sugget I fix this? I am trying to fix this, but I guess I'm just not understanding what I should do. Is there a syllable I should think of that sets my tounge in the right position??

Thanks again, you're a life saver
    Eric

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Eric,

Thanks but whether I'm a lifesaver is up for debate. Just taking my best shot here!

Anyways, try TUH ( like the beginning of the word "tub"). I think that'll get you where you need to be. Remember to practice slowly!

ML

6. pops

pops Pianissimo User

Mar 17, 2004
    Dallas
    The tongue should lower as the register does.

A simple basic range is to use hiss (tiss) around high C

hee (tee) above the staff

hoo (too) in the staff

and

haa (taa) below the staff.

Practice saying these as you sing the pitches you want to play. That helps a lot of people.

Another thing along the same lines that helps some people is to whistle the notes and get a feel for what the tongue is doing.

Try doing the same as you play.

It is simply not possible to cleanly play those lower notes with a high tongue arch.

You are really fighting yourself.

But it is easy to fix.