Abdominal muscles hurting?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by the newbie, May 8, 2012.

1. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    My range is getting higher, and after a great weekend practicing i noticed i can hit higher notes and hold them pretty much as long as i want now! Im only playing c,d,e,f,g on top of the staff because that my area im working on, but its a good improvement for me to be able to hit and a g, and have it sound nice and controlled... anyway...

I noticed the next day my abdominal muscles are hurting like i had been doing press ups. mostly the outer ones like the obliques. Is this a cause for joy as in a "no pain no gain" scenareo or something else i'm doing wrong?

thanks.

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm sure we're all different, but my abs are obviously involved with my playing. I work out a lot and do plenty of crunches, which helps. That said, your symptoms may be evidence of a health problem which might need checking out.
    Jim

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    or it may be from squeezing your abs to compress your lung cavity --- yes, sometimes my abs hurt when I do that to get the high notes!!!!!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Your problem is you probably have a six pack abdomen, and no room for all the muscle to move. You need to have a kegger abdomen like mine. Lots of cushion for that trumpet playing muscle... as I don't have this pain... just gain!

5. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    yeah i have a thin waist, and a bit of a loose 6 pack.

Its kinda frustrating tho that now ive finally got a good strong emboucher its another part of my body i have to develop!

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Seems with every decade my 6-pack gets downgraded. Went to 4 pack in my late 30s. Now that I'm in my later 30s (46), I'm down to mostly a 2, 2 to 3 pack ...

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It's like I said, when you get to my age it goes into a kegger... in my frat day youth, keggers were great... at my current age (which is beyond your years) NOT SO MUCH! What I would give to have a 2 or 3 pack!:-(

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Actually, getting serious here (gmonady - getting serious :lol: ), let your diaphragm do the work for you. Take a good deep breath, then let that muscle relax as much as possible. You will need less force from the abdominals or intercostals by doing this. These assessory muscles do help in generating forces exhaling, but if your are using appropriate airway dynamics, you really don't need to push this hard. So relax... and enjoy your six pack... pain free.

9. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Yep, It is diaphragmatic breathing. Thanks, Doc.

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    You are contracting your abdominal muscles too much. This could be a reflex action from thinking you have to "muscle" the notes out. You should be more relaxed. Only use as much contraction as you need, not more.