Abdominal muscles hurting?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by the newbie, May 8, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    darn it -- I knew it -- I am using the wrong technique again -- where is Al Innella to remind me of that --- NONETHELESS, my good ole buddy, ole pal GM, you saved the day, to remind me once again why you are my JAZZ PLAYING trumpet hero ----- you have all the facts of life, that anyone needs to know!!!!!!!! you are the best --------------------- ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Time to toss the good 'ol Vulgano "RAY OF POWER" into the ring again, as well as the cheapo Alexander Technique:

The finicky thing about air is that, yeah, we must learn the mechanics but then forget about them, because under the stress of performance, as tension sets in, our bodies will lie to us, and it will feel like we're moving huge amounts of air, breathing deeply and supporting when in fact, we are not!

For this reason, I rely on some Vulgano Voodoo and the RAY OF POWER. It involves the Root Chakra, which is located directly at the base of the spine, also known as the coccyx. The chakras have their own mystic qualities, I guess. I don't know for sure, but they do seem to be located in parts of the body where bunches of nerves meet. (The Vulgano version is situated half way between the places we do our number one and number two in the restroom.)

In practice and in theory, imagine (and feel) a ray of some sort (red is the most common mystic color associated with the root chakra) shooting down into the ground while playing. For high notes, imagine (and feel) a more intense ray. If we practice this sitting in a chair, we can notice all kinds of muscles come into play, which happen to be the same muscles used to "support" the air stream. By taking attention off of the mechanics and experiencing the mysterious, magical and not yet patented RAY OF POWER we can avoid some of the tension involved in "trying hard."

Nothing mysterious and magical here really, but the RAY OF POWER does permit me to play with a relaxed but working body.

The cheapo Vulgano Alexander Technique involves making the body as long as possible--keep your head as far from your rear end as you can.

This combination allows us to play our butts off!

Have fun!

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    darn it --- I keep getting this technique thing all wrong -- when I don't squeeze my abs -- then I tend to squeeze my glutus maximus muscles -- then instead of playing my butt off, I ending up with playing until my butt is sore. so sad, so very sad that I haven't mastered this "technique" of what to squeeze, and when to squeeze it to get those high notes ----------YET, there are occasional days, when the air flows, and the high notes are "easy", and it all sounds very cool.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Well that kind of eliminates Kingtrumpet for using this technique!

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    shouldn't be too hard to forget GM, with your alzheimer's -- after all, you forgot how to spell!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'm sorry, what does this have to do with abdominal muscles hurting? I least I can remember the theme of this thread. I am oriented to self as well... to other's thats a different story, right Kingtrombone?

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    oh man -- the trombone is an Olds LA Ambassador, and it doesn't hurt my abs -- perhaps because I only go to the equivalent of a high C,D on the trombone as compared to the trumpet. NOW the trumpet -- I am trying to dial in the High A to DHC level -- and that's another story --- where the mechanics are not totally down --- so my abs hurt somedays, my jaw on another, the corners of my mouth on another, and sometimes it hurts in other places that I don't care to mention.
    the trombone --- is definitely easier to play --- I wish I had more air for it ----- as I have to breath every 2 measure or so --- perhaps that is bad technique also ----- but it is not an Abdominal muscle problem there. ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Vulgano, what if your chakras are blocked? And have you patented your "ray of power" yet.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The Ray of Power is freeware...for now, anyway.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    THe chakras are not blocked, just the ability to clear your mind of inteferring thoughts. FIRST SIT DOWN, then go play at the top of your range, repeating that note until you begin to feel woozy, put the horn down, and start looking for thos chakras... the will begin to appear...

AND if they don't, you have probably passed out!