about practicing softly.. how does this work?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Inconceivable! :oops:

A timely thread.

Am working away on Brandt's 6th orchestral etude: an arpeggiated waltz that whirls (vertically mostly) and floats/flies (horizontally mostly) begging soft kisses of Bb's atop the staff here and there.

Soft is good.

My rudimentary skills dictate a measure at 58. NOT 76 as Vassily would have it.

If I practice at an mf+ or forte and bang out notes a few things happen:

I tire.

Whirling and floating (even at a slow tempo) bug-out & the evil squatters slogging and thumping take up residence.

The waltz becomes some sort of a Gonzo v Cookie Monster chest thumping icky thing.

I bit off more than I chew, certainly.

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    sounds like you really feel the piece.. would love to hear a clip of you playing it

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
    Richard Oliver likes this.
  3. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
    coolerdave likes this.
  4. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    I was just a kid when I quit. I am INFINITELY more patient now that I am, well, somewhat grown up.

...Look, there's two points here, and I agree with both of them.

One, is soft playing develops the embouchure slowly and correctly. It promotes Tone, Musicality, and Control.

The other, is learning to play Dynamics, as a necessary part of correctly following what is on the music. It's about learning and improving Musicianship.

coolerdave likes this.
  5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    NO - patience has been my forte -- so to speak. In that I have found that a Double C, and playability in that range is attainable (and pp it is playable). Low impact and high reps has allowed me to achieve more than I ever imagined in range, and flexibility -- Actually, I have neglected LOUD playing for the most part over the past 3 years --- and unfortunately I've neglected some dynamic expression. Recently after joining a community band last month ---- I can see these deficiencies come into play. My point was for comebackers (and everyone) ---YES, play softly -- BUT don't forget to LEARN to play dynamics expressions, and crescendo, and decresc. and play at different volumes.!!!!!!!! I thinnk that would also be very beneficial. (can I and will I learn to play dynamics -- and the harder part is to do that in a group) --the answer is YES -- but I think the learning curve would have been much faster -- had I NOT just tried to play soft --ALL OF THE TIME---IMHO.

codyb226 likes this.