abs hurt?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    Sometimes in marching band after I get done playing a really loud part of the show, my abs hurt. Does this mean I am using my air efficiently? Because it is better than my face hurting.

2. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    I would guess yes.

Bringing your gut in allows better compression from the lungs, because sucking in the gut puts applied pressure and resistance, so the air has no place to go but through your horn.

A soft gut allows air to go in all directions inside before what remains comes out.

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Yes, if your just looking at a marching band or are a trumpet player who thinks that loud and high makes you great. (hint) It doesn't!!!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No,
    it just means that your abs hurt. That can also come from too much tension in your lower/mid body.

You can get rid of ab pain by working out 3 days a week (2 hours swimming, 200 sit-ups, push-ups..............) or taking yoga lessons to learn to channel energy in a more efficient way.

Things that hurt have been either abused, or used more that we are used to.

A soft gut means that you are capable of more completely filling up with air. When you try to "push" air through the horn, you WASTE an incredible amount of energy. We can't really speed the air up enough to use that tension efficiently. That is why we need to build from the bottom up.

5. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    Yeah for marching band they say you need a strong core for support to hold your horn up, but I'm sure it applies for playing too. We usually do pushups and crunches, but I guess a few on my own wouldn't hurt.

What should I visualize to get better control and use of air?

6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Circle of breath is what I teach. It has been documented here at TM MANY times.

One day, when I have time, I will become a yoga instructor too. I have a long way to go to develop the skills to do it right and that is why I don't post tips about it - yet!

7. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Marching band; anything to do with the exercise that is marching?

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I thought if you wanted to get better at trumpet, it was called marching BANNED! ROFL