Academy Drum and Bugle Corps.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet blower88, Nov 12, 2006.

1. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    We got Div I status!!!

http://www.arizonaacademy.org/nm/publish/news_244.php

I'm so excited to be going Div I, but honesty, its hard to say where the corps is going to go from here. We've got an alright chance at making top 12 at finals, but is the organization put together well enough to ever compeat with corps like BD, SCV, Phantom, and the Cavies?
    The whole situation reminds me so much of Esparanza. Not to speak poorly of them or anything, but they took Div II championships 3 or 4 times before making the leap to Div I, now the highest they've made I belive was 10th and havn't made top 12 in 3 years.

Another thing is, winning Div II champions attracted alot of kids, from outside of Arizona to join the corps. I personaly know a couple kids from southern California who decided to try out for Academy instead of Esperanza because the wanted to be in a corp that could win, no matter what the division. But now that we're Div I, some of these kids might feel like whats the point traveling hundreds of miles to join a Div I corps thats right at the same level of the Div I corps closer to us.

Either way, I'm so excited about this. Mark Richardson's baby steps theory has paid off and we've finialy got our name out there with the big boys. My only worry now is, "How is this going to effect the tour fees?"

2. hkfan736

hkfan736 New Friend

Dec 19, 2005
    I am also cautiously optimistic, but The Academy seems to have a more stable program than Esperanza. I think they will handle the move better. I also have chosen to go for The Academy instead of Esperanza, but not because winning is my first priority, but because I don't want to, quite frankly, be on a train when it wrecks. A lot of Esperanza's staff left after this season, or so I've heard from several members, and that is a very bad sign. So why risk money and time when I could have a better experience with The Academy, who impressed me so much last year? Yeah, tour fees might become more of an issue now too. Hmmm...

3. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Yeah, no matter what happens I'm still excited. After this next weekend, I have four weekends of drum corps auditions in a row!

4. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    David,

It's good to see that Mark has such a clear picture of the future for this group. It seems like this has the makings of a corps that will be around for many years to come.

Just out of curiosity, does Mark ever play for the horn line? He has one of the most vibrant sounds that I've ever sat beside! He's subbed with the Mesa Symphony and Tempe Symphonic Wind Ensemble a couple of times since I've been in town and it's always such a pleasure to hear the great sound that he produces. Last time he played with TSWE he had the flugel part and it sounded like he was going to ring the bell off!

If he hasn't ever played for you, find a chance for a lesson or a sectional with some demonstration at one of these upcoming camps. His is definitely a sound you should be modeling!

Enjoy the month of auditions!