ACB Doubler C Trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by trickg, Aug 28, 2017.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I just learned that Austin Custom Brass is offering a couple of "Doubler" horns - the one that intrigues me is the Doubler C trumpet. On the surface, it looks like a Strad C, but at $499, is priced considerably lower.

I've thought about getting a C trumpet, but I just wouldn't use it that much, so I hold off even looking that hard. This might be a good purchase for someone like me who could use a passable C trumpet on occasion. I'm betting that it's better than just passable too - the ACB Doubler flugel is a solid horn. I gig it all the time and have never been disappointed with it.

If anyone has tried one, I'd love to hear your impressions on it.

bumblebee likes this.
  2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I'm interested too - having read on TM how C trumpets can sound "creamy" I'm keen to encounter one like that, and wonder would this be one?

--bumblebee

3. scipioap

scipioap Pianissimo User

Aug 11, 2012
    Boston
  4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Interesting... I own a very nice Yamaha Xeno that I bought used for 800. I have no regrets on that purchase. The ACB would be an excellent choice for the young player who needs an occasional C. Trent enjoys a fine reputation in the community

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Probably a nice horn and definitely worth watching.

Yes he does - two of the horns that I currently gig with and the horns I gig with the most, my Jupiter 1600i Ingram, and my ACB Doubler flugel, both came from him. The ACB Doubler flugel is why I'm so intrigued about this C - if the C is as good as the Doubler is comparatively, it makes for a pretty tempting option for someone like me who only strays from Bb on occasion.

6. scipioap

scipioap Pianissimo User

Aug 11, 2012
    Boston
  7. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Mezzo Piano User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    As a trumpet player who never doubled before, but is now considering a cornet for more than just occasional use, would the quality of a doubler be suitable ?

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The quality of my Doubler flugel is more than suitable for me to use that horn more than I do now. I actually A/B'd it against a Yamaha 631 again last weekend just to see, and to refresh my memory. The sound of the Yamaha is bigger, a bit more open, and maybe a touch darker, but the sound of the Doubler is a touch warmer and smoother - it's a trade off. Otherwise, the valves are good, the blow is good, the intonation is at least as good as the Yamaha - it's a solid horn, and worth every penny I paid for it. Is the Yamaha comparatively $1350 better? (That's the current price difference) Not that I can see.

With that in mind, I have no illusions that I'll ever be able to flip this horn and get my money back out of it, and I would be able to do that with the Yamaha. Most likely what will happen if I ever decide to upgrade out of it is that I'll sell it to an aspiring high school kid for a fraction of what I paid - basically gift it to them - so that they can have a decent playing flugel with a horn they can realistically afford on their own without the help of Mom and Dad.

Bringing that back to Trent and the ACB Doublers, an interesting test would be to see how well a working musician would fare for a whole year using nothing but the Doubler or Brasspire instruments. I'd be the Guinea pig for that test, but I don't have the free cash at the moment to buy them. My guess is that I'd find that those horns would do a great job in all of the areas where I'd use them - wedding/party band, brass quintet, Army Guard band stuff, and Church gigs. In short, I think that the quality of the Doubler instruments would be more than suitable for more that just occasional use.

bumblebee and rowuk like this.
  9. GeorgeB

GeorgeB Mezzo Piano User

Apr 13, 2016
    New Glasgow, N.S. Canada
    Excellent reply, Patrick. That will certainly make my decision that much easier on whatever I look at, and Trent offers plenty of options.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that Trent is the one to ask about this. He has liked just about every horn on the planet, but there are an awful lot of great horns. As he also sells well priced used, one could trust his opinion and if this were something for me, I would insist that he play it and post a video after which it would be purchased. My opinion is that we need music stores that we can trust and where we can build a solid relation.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    bumblebee and richtom like this.