Accessory for people with bad arm/back issues?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Osren, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    I was recently asked by someone that has played trumpet for over 35 years if there is something they can do to continue playing when they have been diagnosed with a sever and chronic rotator cuff issues in their LEFT arm, and weakness in their right arm.

I'm not sure... thought I would turn it over to the *Think Tank* that is TrumpetMaster.com..... :cool:

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    There is a device, system, Shulman I think it the name?

3. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
  4. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    is this what you are after
    click on image to enlarge
    Ergo-Trumpet-Standing.jpg

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    The Shulman device is no longer being made I believe, a search of Free Patents on Line should come up with the patent drawings if you want to make your own. I think this is where I saw it. One of our French Horn players uses the ERGO System or similar on his triple horn with success.

www.freepatentsonline.com/WO20025259A1.html

Regards, Stuart.

6. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Have all physical therapy options been exhausted? Pain and discomfort can be associated with this approach early on, and commitment to maintenance is required, but the results are certainly worth it IMHO. Her condition is certainly unique to herself and any PT should be done under the care of a professional, but her condition may worsen without it. Also, she may find that ergonomic qualities of some instruments may be better than others for her.
    Jim

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I strongly recommend the Back-2-Life apparatus that is sold at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I have great success with my patients and this device.