Accuracy??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NYCO10, Jun 5, 2010.

1. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys, i have been noticing recently that my pitch accuracy tonging seems to be getting worse and worse even though my slurring is in my opinion as lyrical as you can get I cannot play an octave c scale with out there being a few splits, why do you think this is?? (i know you will probably say that you cant say anything without seeing me play but at least could you give me a few pointers!)

Peace NYCO10

2. trumpet 101

trumpet 101 Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    I'm not sure what it is, but try this: Do about 20-30 minutes of nothing but long tones, then play fast eighth notes legato for about 20 minutes. do this a few times a day if you can, and if you want you can shorten the time or lengthen it (depending on how much time you have to do it). I've been having the same problem lately and have been doing this for about a week, and my playing is just about cleared up.

Blake

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is your breathing. Take a deep breath and play a c scale without tonguing. Then play the scale as long tones with one full breath per note (no tongue). No cracks!

Then play a scale using whole notes tongued VERY lightly. Don't forget that deep breath!. Next step is half notes, then quarters then 8ths. If you crack a note back up a step.

Once your breathing is full and relaxed, your tonguing can settle down and become quick and decisive instead of hammered.

If a players air is wimpy, the tongue has to hit hard to get the note to speak. there is then not enough air to support the note afterwards.

BIG BREATH!

4. Arthur Magazu

Arthur Magazu New Friend

May 26, 2010
    Stow, Ma.
    I had this problem... had to spend a lot more time on tougning and scale work it's an air flow and weak tounge problem..took some time to fix.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Do you have a qualified teacher and how much do you practice?

6. Arthur Magazu

Arthur Magazu New Friend

May 26, 2010
    Stow, Ma.
    At 54 I am too old for a teacher.. I do occasionaly take a lesson here and there as needed..I practice about 1 1/2 hours a 6 days a week average in addition to my rehearsals..I do take a day off here and there depending on how I feel mentally..

7. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    I can´t see why! There are others in here
    that are older than you and still take lessons.
    I´m 58 and sometimes think it would be a fun
    and inspireing thing to do, a break from the usual treadmill . . .

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    arthur sez:
    At 54 I am too old for a teacher..
    ------------
    WHAT!?!...That's just plain bad thinking. I'm as old (or older) than you and I still go for "tune ups" at the local university.
    You will never be to old of teacher. You will not be able to kick up your game unless you change your thinking.

9. jmberinger

jmberinger Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    As a comeback player I had this issue too. I resolved it by working the chromatic studies in the Clarke Technical Studies book, specifically the first and eighth studies. In my case I was "pushing" the notes higher/lower as I progressed up or down the scale. When I finally remembered Jimmy Stamp's adage "stay up when going down and stay down when going up" the intervals become more centered.

Just a thought,

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I have to chime in with Markie and Sofus. I am 63, take a lesson every week, and I know it has made a huge difference for me. And I love my teacher!!

She is on summer vacation however, so I am looking to connect with another for a change in perspective.

veery