Accutane- Warning!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dallaacowboy, Jul 26, 2011.

1. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    trumpetnick, I believe it would be far better for a patient to consult with their dermatologist and follow her advice.

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    One doesn't contradict the other. I have no ambitions to replace their dermatologist, but propose something to add to the prescribed already treatment.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Maybe it's just where I live and watch. I can't seem to escape the ambulance chasing lawyer commercials concerning this drug. Most every drug will have a side affect. Sorry for you guys suffering from these SE's.

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Hold on!:thumbdown:

I would be very careful about what I said to a student about this or any other drug. It could open up all sorts of possibilities in this litigious society.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    +1 Unless you are an expert, you're an outhouse lawyer!

Fires Along the Tallgrass: The Outhouse Lawyers

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I am with Ivan on this issue. Unless you are qualified to make an expert analysis of the situation, I would refrain myself of challenging a doctor's prescription - otherwise you may get in a serious trouble...

7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Accutane's benefits outweigh the risks for most users. We're not talking a "minor" inconvenience here but severe cystic acne. One has to go about being nicknamed "pizza-face" for a few years to really understand. It's not benign. Spending the rest of your life looking like Manuel Noriega is not to be taken so lightly either. People do care about looks, no matter what they say. Charles Bukowski wrote about his experience, it's an eye opener to those who dismiss the ailment as minor.

Since the OP was on 60 mg, a pretty hefty dose, I can only assume he truly needed the drug. Side effects vary widely, adverse effects are relatively rare, and full treatment is only a few months. Not so bad compared to the alternative. Some people battle the condition their entire lives. Sure, the drug is nothing benign either. Any good physician will inform the patient of all the risks, then one can make a decision. It is unfortunately more risky for girls, who have a lower incidence but whose lives suffer more when it does happen to them.

8. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Accutane is a very powerful drug and is usually used as a last resort medication for acne. It is not used for minor cases and should not be used during pregnancy, but it does work. All drugs have side effects; those side effects affect people in various ways, obviously some worse tha others. if you get a relapse try using a topical agent such as Clindoxyl cream.:shock:

Dr. Mike

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks to gdbeamer for the list of possible side effects. But to balance that list, many drug side effects are incidental and anecdotal. So you sometimes need to interpret them in context, often with the help of your health care provider.

For trumpet players, however, the side effects listed by the OP are real. In some people, accutane can cause inflammation of the lips (cheilitis) and dry mouth (xerostomia). This can have a negative effect on your trumpet playing. A typical treatment course is about 6 months, so these effects are temporary.

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/help-60790.html#post553979

As has already been mentioned, accutante tends to be prescribed after other efforts have failed.