Ach! lack of lacquer

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hup_d_dup, Jan 31, 2011.

1. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    I have a trumpet that has a small spot where the lacquer has come off and the brass looks much duller than the surrounding area. The size of this area is about 1/4 inch across and a little less in height.

I'm considering polishing this area and then covering it with clear nail polish. Would this be an effective solution? Are there better ways to improve the cosmetics than this?

I'm a little worried that polishing the brass might abrade the lacquer next to the spot.

2. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Clear nail polish does the job all right.

Just clean the spot after you have polished it
    so the nail polish sticks properly.

3. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    nordland, thank you for your reply.

You didn't actually say if the polish has any effect on the adjacent lacquer. I don't think I can confine the polish to only the brass; there will be some overlap with the lacquer.

4. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    I actually want to take the laquer off mine, is there an easy/proper way to do it? I have a Getzen 900sb so the bell from the 2nd turn on is all laquered silver. The lead pipe to there is brass and it is getting more worn. I'd like the whole thing to get that worn look, but the silver is staying perfect. Any ideas guys?

5. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    very hot water.... beware your trumpet may sound different once you've removed the lacquer

6. dsr0057

dsr0057 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2009
    Denton, TX
    Kleen-Strip EAR322 Aerosol Aircraft Paint Remover

It's what we use at the repair shop I work at, works great and gets it off (most of the time) with one application. It does reek however. :/

Hot water is a good solution too but different lacquer acts differently with the hot water strip.

To the OP: There shouldn't be a reaction between the nail polish and the lacquer if anything any crossing would just look weird when held to the light.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Don't think hot water,even boiling, will remove silver.

8. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Hup, I actually did that to a guitar whose laquer had worn off in a small spot. Just try to overlap as LITTLE as possible and if necessary, do a very thin coat, let it dry and do it again so you make sure not to get any ridge overlap.

and reedy, thanks, guess I will leave it then as I absolutely love the tone right now, wouldn't want to mess with that. the look is just cosmetics.

9. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Holy crap! Fantastic!

hup d dup asked how to repair lacquer, and the thread
    changed (after only 3 replies!) into a thread "how to remove lacquer"....jeeeez...

@ hup: If you use tweezers with some small piece of clothing when polishing,
    you should be able to avoid too much polishing of/on the lacquer.
    Fill nail polish in the damaged spot in several times, and let a thin
    layer overlap the edges.