Acidic hands, saliva

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by James Smock, Mar 23, 2005.

Which fits best?

1. A. I have no acidic qualities to my body, just my personality

99.7%
  2. B. I have acidic hand, and have never outgrown them

0.3%
  3. C. My hands were formerly acidic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. D. I turn the inside of my mouthpiece funny colors

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. E. Both B and D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Smock

James Smock New Friend

Sep 30, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    I've alway's had acidic hands. I think I may be outgrowing it. I'm interested to hear from other people with simmilar things going on.

Please, chime in.

2. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

Timely topic. I just had a conversation with my repairman, Ron Partch. Apparently I'm more acidic (or salty anyway) than I thought because I have corroded the valves on my Yamaha flugelhorn. Ron suggested a heavier valve oil to protect the valves better. The cup of my mouthpiece is brownish and it's not dirt, either. :-(

3. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    I have the same problem.

If you use gold plating on your trumpet and mouthpiece your instrument should be fine. My understanding is that the acid cannot go thru gold. I have played my gold plated horn for two years now and no problems.

Also, someone recently told me that its not the acid that kills the plating ,its the moisture. They claim that if you wipe your horn after you play, the moisture won't have a chance to do damage.

By the way, gold feels real comfortable on the chops.

4. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

Just to clarify and invite any further comment, when I said I had corroded the valves on my Yammy, I meant the actual monel valves are corroding, not the casing.

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Dave, YUCK! That's terrible. Monel is used inside jet engines where its resistance to heat and corrosion combined with it's light weight and strength make it the "material of choice" in some areas. And you can "chew through it"?

Maybe try a Getzen?

6. stewmuse

stewmuse Pianissimo User

Apr 28, 2004
    NW Chicago
    My hands do a lot of damage to my horn. i actually wore three pin-sized holes through the lower 3rd valve slide where it connects to the valve, and I had to replace it!

My mouthpieces also go through blue, purple, red, and black phases or combinations thereof.

:-)

7. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

Yup. I seem to have more problems with Yamaha valves in particular, maybe because of the tight tolerances. I have a 20 year-old Strad with Monel valves and they haven't corroded but I have had this problem with other Yamahas as well. When I get the flugel back I'll post a pic of the valve surface if it photographs well enough to show the corrosion.

8. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Is nickel plating as good protecting against acid as gold is?