Acne on upper lip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Jan 18, 2010.

1. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    I have acne on upper lip, it is actually a moustache hair that couldnt grow out of the skin, probably due to mpc, because it is where mpc meets upper lip.

Obviously, I cannot play and Im frustrated.

Anyone had this problem before?

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I never had this problem, but a friend of mine did. It turned out to be an ingrown hair, and had to be removed by a doctor. If it doesn't go away soon , get it checked out by your doctor or dermatologist .

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I have had ingrown hairs - mostly whiskers - before and they were easily removed with tweezers. But, none were serious enough that they would have affected my playing if they were on my lip so I gather that this is not a trivial situation. I think you have had good advise to have it checked before it becomes any worse and permanently affects you.

4. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Awwwww puberty ROFL Anyways I had that happen to me last year when I started to actually sprout stuff worth shaving, anyways my razor hit it... Painful but solved the problem. If your razor doesnt wack it off by now I would suggest taking a knife and wacking the top bit of skin off. Itll pop out and you can do whatever with it. Whats a pain is an ingrown toe nail that hurts!

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    If it's acne, you can get a topical benzoyl peroxide preparation over-the-counter at any pharmacy. If that doesn't clear it up, your doctor can prescribe something stronger.

If it really is a hair that couldn't grow out of the skin, it sounds more like psueudofolliculitis barbae (razor burn). This is usually caused by shaving too close. Your doctor can prescribe topical agents to treat it, or as ComeBackKid noted, he may try to physically free up the trapped hair. Your doctor can also give you shaving tips to minimize the chance it will return.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Do not poke around with needles, finger nails or non-sterile tweezers. Traumatizing the irritation is even worse.

7. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    It is better today. I squeezed it gently, a bit of secret came out, than I left it as it is, just adding a bit of antiseptic fluid. Tomorow should be even better.

It usually happenes to me, but this is first time where mpc meets lip, so It was new situation for me.

8. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    this has nothing to do with puberty, I am 30

it is trapped hair

9. ztrumpet1

ztrumpet1 New Friend

Sep 4, 2009
    Chattanooga TN
    Also check your mouthpiece for nicks and scrapes, this could be a reaction to the base metal. Or a lot of tarnish on a mp can give you a allergy. I have just gone through this! I shave everyday, but only my top lip every other day to give things time to grow and heal. I found that some vitamin E oil applied to my lips and the danger spot also helps. One more thing, this might happen if I practice without sufficient rest.. the metal is just compressed on the skin for too long. Keep the area super clean and moisturized, and check for cuts and scrapes on the mp rim. Hope this helps

10. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    It sounds like an ingrown hair. Don't dig around for it;they are very hard to find. Your doctor may have to inject some corticosteroid into it which usually takes care of the problem.:shhh:

Dr. Mike