acquire a horn for $25

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ltg_trumpet, Mar 19, 2009.

1. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    i have a chance to acquire a getzent with a bashed in bell, slightly bent lead pipe, a broken button stem and great valves, is it worth it? its part of the 300 series... i know its a student horn, but i seems like it might have a bit of life left...

2. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    If (A + B) > C, then don't do it.

A = Price of horn ($25)
    B = Price of fixing horn
    C = Price of horn that plays the same as this horn would after fixing

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I agree with the above poster, you have no idea what repairs etc. will cost you. Then when you are done you will still have a beginner instrument which isn't worth a whole lot.

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Run

Fast

Tom

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I agree. The bell may not be fixable. It may need to be replaced.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Offer $5.00. Even if you can't get it fixed cheap, you will have something to practice repair on. Another cheap horn could get you a bell and leadpipe.............

Maybe the start of a next generation band repairman/trumpet designer?

7. Publius_

Publius_ Banned

Jan 21, 2009
    ----
    what exactly is wrong with it again, I saw a lot of those type of deals it really depends on the repair as people have said. you could buy another one similar. You can also but replacement valves. I would buy it if I were you, if anything you resell it, and who know it might be vintage. You never know what you can get.

8. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    well... the trumpet is BASHED... he said that paiges said it would cost 250 to fix... i wouldnt do that, however, im thinking that i might just use it as a project horn and se what i could do with it... lol rowuk, i would LUV to do that... perform trumpet and make them man that would be the greatest... thanks guys

9. Scooter01

Scooter01 Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2006
    I found an Olds Ambassador at an "antique mall" and paid $35.00. It was dent free, finish about 85% 1961 vintage and played exceptionally well with great valves. I gave it to our neighbor so her daughter would have a decent horn for band. She had a cheapo "student model" (brand not worth mentioning) with a broken valve stem not worth repairing. Moral of the story: you can find better deals than someone else's junk.
    Brian

10. sayluvee

sayluvee New Friend

Mar 19, 2009
    Wisconsin
    If its a getzen 300 series you could probably find a used one in good condition for the cost of repairing this one (granted anything used could have issues) I would check out ebay/craiglist before jumping on this "$25" great deal - though I do agree the idea of using it to practice repair on - the expierence would be worth having you wanted it.