Adam Rapa Guitar Sound???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetguy27, Sep 7, 2012.

1. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Hey gang...

I know we're trumpet players but I think it's safe to say we've all dreamt of being a rock star at some point or another right? And I'm pretty sure most of us have see the awesome video of Adam Rapa playing a guitar solo on his Monette right? Adam Rapa w/ The Army Blues - YouTube

WELL... my question is if any of you know how he got/gets the guitar sound? I have the silent brass, and I assume he runs the line out through some type of effects pedal or processor etc???

Anybody have any experience or thoughts? Anybody know how to contact Adam?

Thanks in advance!!!

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    nice vid -- makes me wish I was a little younger --

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    You can see the pedal setup he has in the picture.
    I (and many others) use a Digitech Vocal 300 pedal. It does a pretty good job, and isn't that costly.
    The vocal 300 has a 1/4 inch input, and xlr, which means you can hook a silent brass in with just a 1/8-1/4 inch adaptor.
    It also has headphone out so you can practice with it.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
  5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    That sounds like a guitar to you??? To me, it sounds like a heavily processed trumpet, more like an anemic oboe. You could run a trumpet though just about any pedal, but it's not going to make it sound like a guitar. He's playing in a slurry manner that sort of immitates a guitar. If you want something to turn a trumpet into sounding like a guitar, you'll need the type of technology that goes into synthesizers. A guitar pedal is not going to do it.

Turtle

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I guess unless you play guitar -- "all string instruments sound roughly the same" --- kind of like a woodwind, I mean a clarinet and an oboe --- is there that much of a difference??? ROFL ROFL ROFL

TJ - of course, no harm, no foul -- but I got a co-worker who "talks and plays guitars" --- but when he says he needs a new fret board, or he prefers the 6 string guitar over the 5 string, ---- I get kind of lost. I remember another coworker (he moved on since then) -- -but we had a Nickname for him --- as we called him a "humbucker". I know that referenced some guitar gizmo ----- BUT I am sure we didnt' think he was a fine guitar player!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL