Adam's Martin Committee(A9) -VS- the Schilke Handcraft

Discussion in 'Horns' started by trumpetland, Jan 27, 2013.

1. trumpetland

trumpetland New Friend

Jan 1, 2013
    For those of you that played both at Namm, how did they compare?

2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    FYI it is Adams. I played both of course. Both are wonderful. I am biased as I am a huge fan of everything Adams.

3. trumpetland

trumpetland New Friend

Jan 1, 2013
    Haha thanks. Not sure why I posted "Adam's". When will the Adams be available? Also can you describe the differences?

I saw posts that the Handcraft was tailored after some of Miles Davis's personal horns, but noticed the wrap of the Handcraft looked different than pictures i've seen of Miles's horn online. The Adams looks identical to all the photos of Miles's horn. Can't wait to try both.

4. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    a clip from my shop today FYI

I'm using my Ta-1 top in acrylic with my MO backbore.

5. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  6. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I played both at NAMM, as well as Josh Landresses's version and one of his actual Committees. The Schilke didn't feel like the real thing to me at all - slots were much wider and it was difficult to play. I've never had any problems with the Schilke large bores - love the X3, but this one made me tired (and tired of it!) very quickly. The Adams played very nicely - easy to play, easy to slot, and I didn't get tired. Josh's version played the most like the real thing, I thought, but at that price point it ought to - they go for $4800. That all being said, which would I want? None of them - Committees don't suit me. I don't sound smoky on them, I peel paint and all while feeling uncomfortable! The Committee I played that day was one of Wallace Roney's, and I even got to play it with one of Miles' mouthpieces, as well as my own. Didn't suit me one bit.

7. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Actually the Martin #3 is a wide slotting instrument. So that Schilke must of had really wide slotting if you compared it to the Martin. That must have been really cool to play Miles horn with Miles mouthpiece whether you were into the sound or not. It takes some getting used to the Committee because of the loose slotting but in my opinion (And many others)that is what makes the horn so expressive.

8. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    While the slotting was wide on the Committee, it wasn't nearly as difficult for me to play as the Schilke was. I found all three of the Schilkes of that model to be extremely uncomfortable, and like I said, I've never had a problem with the Schilke large bores.

9. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Thats very good information, thanks

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  10. trumpetland

trumpetland New Friend

Jan 1, 2013
    Thanks