Adding a little spice...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ska, Jan 23, 2010.

1. ska

ska Pianissimo User

Sep 12, 2009
    Estonia
    Alright,

Whenever I practice, eg do warmups or train tonguing, slurs whatnot, it's always similar to the ones I have done. It becomes kind of boring over time to do the same **** over and over and over and over again. How can I "throw a ranch in the system". The idea is the same, to train the same things, but I'm too stupid to think of something. Just need to get away from the feeling of being on a route.

For example: When I train tonguing I do C D E F G F E D C in different tonguing methods and speeds. Or C E G 2ndC (not sure what it's called in English :s ). Of course I do it in different scales and ranges, but it kind of becomes tiresome, need something fresh to keep it interesting.

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    You could put on an Aebersold backing track and do your exercises to music.

3. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    Practice your thirds, your fourths, fifths, just going up and down. practice your modes and scales and what not. change it up here and there and just have a good time with them. I text, so i tell my self i wont answer a text untel i have a scale memorized.

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    You have just hit on why most of us have a very complete library of method books etc. For example the Arbans will give you some of everything, the Vizzutti books are excellent, the Clarke books also work very well, etc. Go get some books and work in them.