Addressing Muscle Fatigue

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Feb 4, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And if that does not work, perhaps, just perhaps, you are underdosing the beer.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Once again, very sound advice from Mike. As to the other questions you asked:

Any suggestions for how long I should expect until my muscles are fresh again? Give it 3-5 days.

Or any ways to speed up recovery, now:
    No. I would go out on a limb to say that if randomized controlled trials would be run with or without NSAIDS, I would guess it would make no difference, just 3-5 days. NSAIDS may make it feel better, but a kiss on the boo boo by a significant other, and provided frequently would be more holistic and would be my preferred therapeutic plan.

or in the future?
    Get your rehearsal routine up to your performance demand. This will work wonders.

If you cannot get your rehearsal times up before you go to this level of demand, try massaging your lips form both inside and out during breaks in playing, and if available, ice down the inner surface for a few seconds at a time. I just used this techinque last evening in playing a 3 hour gig, and was popping out notes up to the B below double high C, and am at a similar performance level today.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Mark --- I was going to say (for me) when I overdue a practice -- it takes 4 day to recover - but GM is close enough with the 3-5 days. NSAID's, (my favorite over the counter OTC is naproxen -- actually seems to work the best for me) BUT it only relieves the "inflammation" and the pain, and it doesn't really help me avoid the 4 day recovery ---- but 4 days is when I "really feel good, the playing in the upper register is going well, and I just don't quit doing that -- because why give up on a good playing day??? but rest assured young Mark ----- you should figure out where your limitations are -- yes, know your body, and avoid these problems -- I think that is much better. BUT even an old guy like me wants to push the envelope from time to time-- just to make sure that - I REALLY AM NOT SUPERHUMAN!!!!!!!!! and then, well my face hurts!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL and the corners won't hold together ROFL ROFL ROFL, and I need 4 days to recover ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    That's what she said.

5. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Lol, all great advice. I should've done the beer sooner ;P (jk)
    Yes, I'm used to practicing 4 hours or so, but not in that range per say, so it makes sense that if I do more practicing in that range, I'll be better in the future.
    Going home this next weekend, it's a little late, but I'll be getting more than a kiss, if you know what I mean ;)
    Thanks all for the help, this is good knowledge to keep in mind. Yes, no swelling, which is awesome! Just muscular fatigue. I'll take that over swelling anyday...

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YES, going home means you will get a HUGE hug from your Mother, and some little pinches on the cheek --with that familiar saying -- "OH, my Little Marky, sugar boy, you are so sweet -- and have come home to see your deer sweet Mother who misses you bunches and bunches"
    YOU might even get a hug from your Little Sister -- she might even miss you!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

Then you will eat too much of Mom's casserole, and roast beef dinner, lounge around for a weekend, forget to practice --- and find that you have the same problem with muscle fatigue next week ---- YES, we understand little sugar boy, you are so sweet!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

give the family a hug for all of us on TM!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    rofl

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Awwww KT, you take all the fun out of the imagry as to what Mark meant by "I'll be getting more than a kiss, if you know what I mean ;)". By the way KT, on which cheek does your mother pinch you, and if it's below the belt... well, I really do not need to know this? Don't you think you are getting a little too old for this?:dontknow:

9. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Sounds like you're doing pretty well. Rest is of course important. I always like Hall's eucalyptus cough drops that cool my mouth down. Over the counter hydrocortisone cream to the outside of the lips, not the lips themselves also reduces swelling. When you drink water makes sure it is in ice chipped water. It is mor erefreshing and helps reduce swelling.

10. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    you spelled Scotch wrong....