Addressing Muscle Fatigue

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Feb 4, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Isn't that spelled: G-I-N?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A colleague from a neighboring village in Germany got a position in the Bamburg Symphonie , and he reported they take good 'ol Bayer aspirin and drink beer after a bunch of hard blowing. If the concert or rehearsal is lighter they just drink beer.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The Germans always did not how to dose their medications appropriately.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    you are a sick man --- aren't you a little young for dimentia???? ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Everything's feeling better, thanks for the advice all. I think it also forced me to be more efficient too! Some good things are happening!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not sure what you mean by dimentia? Di-mentia would mean having two minds. Are you suggesting I am too young for having two minds? At my age, I am not too young for anything... and I have half the mind to knock some common sense into you young whipper shapper!

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    May I suggest The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind by Julian Jaynes. It is all amout "dimentia." Doesn't deal with muscle fatigue although it makes my brain hurt if I spend too much time trying to puzzle the book out.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    When I use to play in a working Rock band , it was 4-5 nights a week 4-5 40 minute sets of high loud playing. I would still do the 4 hour a day practice routine ... so occasionally I would have sore chops but was always able to play the sets.
    I guess the question I have is what do players like Mark do when they don't have that type of playing schedule.
    Do you adjust your practice to build up these kinds of chops?
    Does a regular practice routine in and of itself help and it just takes time to build up the endurance and reduce the after effects?

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Or imbibing the wrong brand?:-)

10. jengstrom

jengstrom Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    The suggestions for ibuprofin, aspirin, icing, and rest are all good. Here's an additional 2 cents:

At 55, my chops (or any muscles for that matter) don't recover as fast as they used to, so I try to stave off as much damage as I can up front. If I know I have a heavy day the day after a smashfest, I make it a point to go home and (horror of horrors) play some more.

All good:
    1. pedals
    2. low note bends
    3. 19/30 exercise (look that one up on that OTHER forum)
    4. 20 minute G (at ppp, if not pppp)
    5. ppp Clarkes
    6. James Thompson's Buzzing Basics, exercises 1-4 and 9

The 20 minute G, in particular, done at ppp with almost no MP pressure, recenters my chops like nothing else. The others relax you and keep the blood circulating through your lips. Much of the time, doing this immediately after a hard play, playing for up to an hour with as little MP pressure as possible, enables me to play the next day quite fresh.

-John