Addressing Muscle Fatigue

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark_Kindy, Feb 4, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No John, I am not going to let you get away with this one. Unless you did some serious damage to the muscle, muscle will maintain the fibers the good Lord gave ya, so age has nothing to do with it. Now if age gets in the way of the amount of TIME you have to practice and keep the muscle toned, well that is another thing, but don't blame the muscle. Muscle rules!

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I apologize for not focusing on this sooner, I did not see it.
    I WISH I could have a 4 hour practice routine... it would be extremely helpful, but as I've mentioned in other posts, I have very long school days. I have enough ensembles to cover 4 hours of playing, but it's just not the same =/
    So a very valid question here... how do I build up endurance when my playing demands are so much higher than the amount of time I have available to practice?

(A smart-ass, but true answer would be practice instead of being on here....)

Other than that, any suggestions?

kingtrumpet likes this.
  3. fragrebel

fragrebel New Friend

Jan 1, 2010
    it's 'spelt' and not 'spelled'. Hehe
    I'd say you continue playing as your lips aren't swollen. Keep it piano and you'll have viz

4. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Good advice, but I don't usually have the luxury of doing that. Gotta use my whole dynamic range, and that usually ends up meaning high AND strong.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    If no one bites on my questions Mark I will start another post and see if we get some input.
    I do know you have to find the exercises that give the most bang for the buck when time is limited. When I use to play a lot each day my warm-ups could be completed in 10 minutes but not I have found it is more productive for me to warm up for about 45 minutes ,,,( which sounds backwards because it's more time but the concept is the same... productive use of time) I went from a Claude Gordon warm-up to the Vizzutti warm ups ...it kills me spending that much time on warm ups now but I am improving at a faster rate doing that ..
    I think if you can find small pockets of time during the day where you can squeeze in an exercise.. perhaps some range work it might help. I find my chops stay stronger if I play through out the day as opposed to slugging out the 2 hour routine.
    I think Robin also has a good concept in the hymnal idea ... I think you can play any song pieces but that's my take .. the long phrases would build up your chops.. I would think.
    aside from the scotch ... any ideas for Mark on how to build up his chops to reduce the effects of a hard gig?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Mark,
    I think that you are missing the fact that our face muscles only get a break at night. We use them all of the time when we are awake. When we overdo something, the immediate strain on the muscle causes it to weaken and after time recover - usually a bit stronger. This changes the balance of things. Other muscles that perhaps did NOT get a similar beating, react in a different way. Remeber that our playing is fine motor activity, not weight lifting. Overdoing it is no different than a bad daily routine. We throw off a delicate balance. The best recovery procedure does not consist of "waiting" until the face achieves "equilibrium" again. It means taking a day off and then biting the bullet with a daily routine designed to stabilize.

I play dance competitions. They usually start at 7:00pm with 45 minutes of ballroom music. The competition itself starts at 8:00 and there is 45 minutes of dance music and 15 minutes of background music until midnight when the winner is announced. After that, we often play for audience dancing until 2:30am. The next day, I am pretty beat, but find time for my daily routine in spite of the wear and tear. It helps me to find my way back to a predictable situation.

I never use medication for my chops (other than liquid cold).

7. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I believe I see what you're saying, Rowuk. A daily routine is intended to recenter/refocus everything as well as maintenance --- is that what you intended, or am I misinterpreting?
    Also, by taking too much time off, it would be counterproductive? Again, I believe I follow, but I don't want to misinterpret.

I usually just deal with water, water, and more water for weary chops, myself.