Adhesive encapsulitis - or 'frozen shoulder', for ordinary non-medical people

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Churchman, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    I have been suffering for the last 5 months from this scourge of anyone who wants to do anything and has it... :bash:
    It is so bad that I always get pain after I practice - and it puts me off wanting to do anything other than practice, in case I simply cannot continue - even just accompanying hymns in church is a hurdle I don't want to approach.

The latest magic procedure that the NHS have just performed on it (hydro dilitation) have increased movement by about two inches
    :shhh:
    Anyone got any brilliant ideas? And remember, this is the UK. So the NHS is a waiting game (another HD is due in December), and private medicine is so far out of my financial reach that it just ain't happening. So, ideas and personal experience is what I'm after.

Oh boy, I'd love a good night's sleep, and a good day's play:play:

2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Go onto the London School of Sports Massage Site and find a therapist in your area. There is no such thing as a frozen shoulder, it just needs freeing up and they can sort that for you.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Sorry to hear about this. The typical treatment consists of anti-inflammatory medication, range-of-motion exercises, and certain procedures (like hydrodilitation and surgery). It can take many months to get any improvement.

As suggested by Rapier, a medically-oriented massage therapist can be beneficial. Have you received any physical therapy or occupational therapy?

Very sad reality. Some people in the U.S. think we're about to get "free" healthcare. They don't realize the "waiting game" (aka the rationing of care) is how the president is going to pay for it.

Mike

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I just got over.. well am over getting over the exact same thing.... man does that hurt.
    I took the anti-infamatories for a few months but because they are so strong I wanted to get off them. Once I heard what it was the pain was alot easier to deal with. The surgeon said it typically goes away by itself in two years... yeah I know along time. I just started saying to myself everytime it hurt.. well it's freeing up little by little. I am thankful I did not opt for the surgery.
    The Physical Therapist will give you exercises to work on and little by little it frees itself up. I am not out of the woods yet but at least I can lift my arm over my head.
    I am not a doctor ... just a fellow trumpeter who had to deal with the same thing ... so listen to your doctor and hang in there.

5. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Churchman,

I will add this to a thread where good advice has already been proffered. Like coolerdave, I am merely a trumpet player; a 60 year old in my case. I started messing up my shoulder as a youth in athletics. I made it worse over several years spent as a carpenter. By my late 40s, it was painful for me to ride in a car my arm unsupported for any length of time or raise my arm over my head. I read a little and decided enough was enough.

I began range of motion exercises using light weights and both arms. This hurt lots at first! I persisted and, really, never stopped. Now at age 60 I have far better range of motion and strength in the affected arm than I had years ago and have long been mostly pain free. The only time symptoms begin to reappear is when I have to stop my exercises for one reason or another for a period of a few weeks. Now, this worked for me. As others have said, proceeding under the direction of a trained professional would be better.

Jim

6. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Hi Churchman,

Visit lots of medical web sites that discuss the syndrome in detail and get yourself educated on the subject.

I picked up the problem in both shoulders 6 years ago and still going through the thawing phase.

Not nice at all.

When I practice, sitting down, got into the habit of resting my elbows on my knees to take a load off.

Not good posture I know but helped with pain relief. Even tried strapping an oversize belt around my waste
    which included strapping my elbows into my waste to restrict motion as the slightest movement caused unbelievable
    pain.

Good luck and my best wishes. You have a long road to travel now so try and be patient.

Cheers

Paul

7. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    Thanks for the advice so far.
    The London School sounds like an idea - they might practice on me, and then I get it for free!

As for 'hang in there', it'll be by one arm... ROFL

8. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Sorry Churchman, I think you need to check out graduates of the LSSM to get treatment and we ( yes, I am a graduate) do it for money. ;)