Adjusting mouthpiece gap

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by robeebee, Sep 14, 2013.

1. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    The incorrect gap will render an otherwise great playing horn to not even wanting to play it. I've experienced this, not fun..

2. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    I was a bit of a mechanic (in another life):D and some thing that i remember was the importance of the fit of the bore on a 2-4 cycle engine between the carbs and block of the engine ,it seems a disturbance of the air flow is very important ,the smoother the air column is ,the better the performance you get from the motor ,in fact some books call that area CRITICAL to performance , this is why the custom shops polish and grind the openings in those areas to make that connection very smooth and consistent ,Sound familiar?

I think gap is similar ,you have a column or air (the standing wave) moving into the cup of a M/P down the bore and Bam it comes to a place where the pipe gets larger ,now that wave has to expand to fill the bore ,and right there may be the most important part of a trumpets function ? if the wave is contorted by a bump or a bent M/p tip it will make a disturbance in the wave as it moves into the leadpipe ,,,maybe it will straighten itself out and become a smooth wave at some point but i'm sure it will effect the sound in a odd way.

This is a very simple way of describing it and not scientific at all but helps me understand it ,the part i'm not sure about is how having to much or not enough gap changes the standing wave,but i think we agree that is has an effect .

Anyway no harm in experimenting with the tape trick ,just to see if it's the player or the horn.