Adjusting to new Bobby Shew- Lead mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cristian, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Cristian

Cristian New Friend

Sep 9, 2012
    I play on the 5 1/2 Parduba double cup now but I've been practicing on the Yamaha Bobby Shew mouthpiece recently but I can only play the lower register with a good tone, once I reach the higher the sound goes away, what are some exercises I can do to work on my buzzing, some videos would be extremely helpful but there are so many out there. It's difficult to say which works best for me.

2. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Reduce mouthpiece pressure as much as possible. Shallow cups don't just bottom out they don't respond well if your lips are pushed up in the cups. Also use faster streams of air, not more air. Pushing volumes of air through a tiny cup in excess can diminish the sound. Listen to Allen Vizutti for inspiration. He's got a shallow cup and does it all...slices, dices and purees anything.

3. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I use the Marcinkiewicz Bobby Shew “Lead” piece for shows now and then. There are 3 Shew pieces out there, the lead then two larger pieces. Depending on which one you have can make a difference on range. His lead piece is the best out of the three for range. I’ve found you need more bottom lip and less top lip for the lead piece. Hope this helps.

4. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Quite frankly, it sounds like you have chosen a mouthpiece you cannot adapt to your needs. It happens to just about everybody at some point.
    There are some very specific playing tests that can be done to determine if a mouthpiece is right for you or not. If you pass the tests, you have a match. It is an immediate "eureka" moment and while there may be some adjustment period, it will not be long or difficult one.
    A lead mouthpiece is designed to assist in and reduce effort in production of the upper register. If you don't already have the high register, the mouthpiece isn't going to give it to you.
    As an aside, as far as Parduba pieces go, they had their heyday a long time ago. I have a friend - an older gentleman - who went to a Parduba to assist him in the upper register. It did help him in the upper register but absolutely destroyed his middle register. It rendered his once very nice sound into an incredibly bright and irritating sound. Whatever sound you had with the Parduba you can bet the playing characteristics of the the Shew lead are very different from the double cup Parduba. I've plugged in a few Pardubas and I don't know how anyone other than Harry James can get a good sound on them. I surely can't.
    You have also purchased what is known as a specialized mouthpiece. There is a sticky here written by the magnificent Jens Lindemann with his thoughts on mouthpieces. You might wish to read it.
    Rich T.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've long played a Parduba 4 1/2 HJ without a problem high, low, or anywhere. As I've said prior, some can, some can't, and some won't and IMO that applys to all mouthpieces and instruments. Harry played a size 5 Parduba that he had John Parduba modify, said modification now produced with the HJ incised and Akright now produces Parduba mpcs. Harry also favored balanced trumpets, Selmer and King. I do concur that with shallower mpcs some have more tendency to bottom out when the players lips are shoved inside the cup by too much elbow pressure. There is much less room in a shallow mpc cup to allow this. Still, I'm neither a screamer or pedal pusher ... I'll play my piccolo trumpet or euphonium for these extremes.

6. Johnny B.

Johnny B. New Friend

Jun 25, 2012
    When I first started using the Yamaha Bobby Shew lead piece, it took me about 2 months to comfortably adjust and really make proper use of it. Personally speaking, I've never had an "eureka" moment when trying mouthpieces. Sure wish it did work that way for me, as it would make the process much simpler. I say stick to it for a bit and accept that the adjustment period may be longer than you had anticipated.

7. Cristian

Cristian New Friend

Sep 9, 2012
    Yeah thanks, I used to play a Schilke 13a4a before I switched to the HJ Double Cup, would it help if I start working my way to the Shallow cup, like getting comfortable with the 7c again then to 3c and then the Bobby Shew later on? Or should I just practice on the Bobby Shew?

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Cristian... Listen to Richtom. If the Shew doesn't fit... don't wear it.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  9. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I may seem to be taking an old man stance on this, but why the heck would you even consider using a mouthpiece that you had to take serious time to adjust to? A mouthpiece is designed to facilitate the needs of the player, not for a player to radically adapt to it. Let's be practical, tell the band manager you need to take 2 months off for a mouthpiece change, I doubt you'll be there much longer. And for those weekend warriors, tell your boss you are taking two months off for a new pair of shoes, see if you have a job when you come back. I can understand, a week or two to adjust to the different nuances of the mouthpiece, but if at two months, I'm still working on it, I have a new paperweight.

Above all, with the two months someone spent "adjusting," I'd be using it to practice, and make myself a better player to do what someone else used to a mouthpiece to get.

10. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I've found that this helps me on most very shallow pieces (e.g. my 13a4a), very interesting. For me this also includes how the lips protrude (if at all)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012