Adjusting to new Bobby Shew- Lead mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cristian, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Cristian

Cristian New Friend

Sep 9, 2012
    The thing is, I have a better sound with the Shew mouthpiece, and I'm willing to adjust, pretty sure it would take me less than 2 months.

2. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    The Shew mouthpiece is designed to get a strong sound in the upper register and yet you can't get it to play in the upper register. Doesn't that tell you something? It should NOT take two months to make an adjustment to any mouthpiece.
    You've been give some good advice by others here, too. Why don't you follow it or get a good teacher to help you?
    Rich T.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  3. Johnny B.

Johnny B. New Friend

Jun 25, 2012
    DaTrump, it's not necessary to take time off to adjust to a mouthpiece. You just begin to incorporate it, and you don't have to use the new mouthpiece exclusively. Any time I try new mouthpieces, they never work for me as well as the one I'm already playing on. But if there's something about it that I find I like, I'll probably stick with it long enough to work out the deficiencies. The OP had already indicated that he was happy with the sound the mouthpiece was giving him in the lower register, so it's probably just a matter of time before he can get the same results in the upper register. Or he can ignore me and follow someone else's advice:)

BTW, 2 months may have been a bit of an exaggeration. Thanks for the reply:) -jb

4. Cristian

Cristian New Friend

Sep 9, 2012
    To this day, I'm still adjusting to the Shew but I'm noticing major improvements, such as clearer sounds in the middle and lower register.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  5. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
    I played solely on the Shew Marcinkiewicz 1.5 and 2 pieces for almost 15 years. I then changed this year to GR's Wayne Bergeron stuido model. It's FANTASTIC. Much better, in my case anyway. Better tunig, sound, easier range. You can even use it to a cerain extent for light classical work. Good stuff. I was dubious at first as I always supported marcinkiewicz, but GR far surpass them.