Adjusting to the C

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bowman8719, Apr 16, 2007.

1. bowman8719

bowman8719 New Friend

Apr 16, 2007
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Hello, My professor recently sent me on the road of transposition and learning on a c trumpet. I purchased A Ken Larson conversion Bach 229 C, which I couldn't be more satisfied with. I havent had to much of a problem switching over, but I cant quite get the brilliant sound I want on my c trumpet yet. Would you suggest playing mainly on my c trumpet throughout the summer , transposing, and playing lyrical studies to get the sound I want? If so do you advise staying off of my Bach Strad Bb until I obtain my sound on the C? Thanks

CJB

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I feel as though this thread is about two unrelated subjects: 1)transposition and 2)acclimating to playing a C trumpet.

Since I learned all my transpositions on the Bb I don't believe one has to do with the other.

I'm also not sure what you're anticipating as far as sound is concerned on the C trumpet since most people try to get their C trumpets to sound as much like the Bb as possible. It sounds to me as though you have a number oof preconceived notions regarding playing the C vs. Bb.

I don't try to get more out of a horn than it's capable of giving me. It's good to have a concept of fullness, richness on any horn and the C is no exception. I don't know whether your mouthpiece/horn combo is well matched and that may be an issue.

Yes, playing the C often is always a good idea but I assume you got the horn for the same reason I did years ago, because you need it. So, whatever your playing situations dictate, go ahead and use it. Split your time and have fun with the horn. I assume when you mean transposition that now you're going to focus on playing down a step so you can play Bb parts on the C. You certainly didn't have to wait to get a C in order to do that.

I think that most people will tell you to have the sound of the Bb in your head when you play the C. I agree with that.

ML

3. 6pk

6pk New Friend

Mar 9, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Hope its ok to jump in here.

I really like the idea of just blowing it like a Bb, and sticking with the sound you have in your head. I find the less I think "oh I'm playing a C trumpet" the better it plays, I used to hate playing it. This week I didn't have time to get the Bb out, conductor changed pieces, so I played it through on the C, (Lincoln Portrait), I didn't think anything I just got on with it, it really did seem better intonation was heaps better than normal. It also saved my bacon for some of the nasty bits in Porgy and Bess.

4. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Jon,

Surely it saved your bacon in 'Porky and Bess'.

Regards,

Trevor

5. 6pk

6pk New Friend

Mar 9, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Haha

no pun intended from me, I ain't that smart!

6. jhatpro

jhatpro New Friend

Oct 31, 2006
    Chicago area
    Sure you aren't talking about 'Porky and Beans'?

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I once went fishing with Porgie and Bass.

ML

8. bowman8719

bowman8719 New Friend

Apr 16, 2007
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Mr. Laureano, It sounds like you enjoying taking a day off to fish every now and then. :)