Adrenaline rush at a live gig....does it give you more range??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guitarsrmine, Sep 14, 2011.

1. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Just thinking about this today. Ive noticed that when Im out gigging with my weekend band(I play lead guitar),and it comes time for my 1 and ONLY trumpet tune(Sweet Home Chicago)that Ive def got an adrenaline rush going, and the upper register just SCREAMS!!! Could the rush be associated with the ease, and strength, of my upper register at that time?? The notes just seem to JUMP right outta my horn,and the brilliance and overall tone is DRAMATICALLY better than when Im playing at home. I'd like to hear everyones opinion on this....Thanks

2. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    That feeling is what makes the trumpet the GREATEST instrument to play!

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Yep... I think it does!

20+ years ago I was running late for a gig, and had been threatened with dismemberment if I was ever late again. I was driving in from about 40 miles away with exactly enough time to get there but I got stuck in a very violent thunderstorm. My driver side window had been smashed at a gig the weekend before (seedy biker bar horn band) so I was getting soaked in horizontal rain. I slide over to the middle, but still getting pretty soaked.

Traffic drags to a crawl. I am gonna be late.

Then the hail starts. BIG hail. Baseball sized hail. I am sure it is going to shatter my windshield. HAIL is now coming in and pelting me. The bastards in front of me stop dead under the overpass and completely block the overpass to protect their precious BMW's. My hood looks like a 13 year old's forehead. Pockmarked. I am completely stopped and 100% blocked in traffic. There is nothing I can do except pray that my windshield holds up. It sounds like someone is on my roof with a sledge hammer trying to break in.

I am definitely going to be late, but still not assured of my survival. I take a couple large hailstones in the arm and side. If one hit my head I would be dead.

Finally, after about 10 minutes the worst passes and I start laying into the horn... and they traffic starts moving.

I raced past everyone and drove 100+mph on wet roads to get there with about 10 seconds to spare. I am completely soaking wet, and my horn and chops are stone cold. I am shaking and my heart is racing. I can't calm down.

The gig starts with a Double G punch after 8 bars of piano solo (DJO's "Allison's Tune"). No where to hide. I wallop it. Then, later in the tune really rip the double A's. It was spectacular. My horn always had a break on the high A, so it was very difficult to play consistently. Not this night! I just put the horn up and blew and they were as big as a house.

Adreneline is awesome stuff!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Adrenaline can be perceived as either excitement or fear. It all depends on the attitude. You can get plenty of gigs if you are excited to play what other folk fear--provided you can play it.

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    You may in fact be pumped with adrenaline, and get some great high notes, but I have listened to a recording of myself at a gig, and was surprised at how off pitch I got when I was up there. So - be prepared and practice; sometimes the adrenalin masks a poor performance for the amateur. IMO.

6. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    The added adrenaline causes added muscle tension and you are now breathing with the compression / air velocity required to play up there.
    This is why you have added range. Take THAT to your practice...... : )